Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Keuka Lake Crappie ?

Kaptain K Guest

Default Keuka Lake Crappie ?

Hey Joe,

You say that Keuka holds crappies ?

I didn't know that ! I'd heard (a while back) from a F & G officer that it didn't really hold any --and, if it did, the numbers were very low.

Hmmnnn .... can't even trust the guys who ought to know !

Oh well, I would be interested to hear more about this lake -- perhaps I'll call the DEC Regional office, and see what their creel census samples support, in terms of evidence. I fished that lake hard, a number of years ago, and didn't spot a single slab.

I had simlar reports from some so-called "locals", too .... yeah, maybe they just didn't want to give up the "real" information -- ya think ?!?!

Joe ; have you ever fished Keuka for crappies ?

Kap'n K

Post Thanks / Like

I Grew up spending my whole summers at my grandparent's place at the Branchport head of the lake. I caught a few crappies each year, but never targeted them - always caught them while going after bass.

Where I used to be successful was along the outside (deep) edge of the "high weeds".

The head of the lake is kinda unusual, not a lot of weeds between shore and out where the water gets to be maybe 6' deep (150-200 yards offshore). At that point a weed bed starts that runs pretty much across the head of the lake - it's probably 10-15 yards from shallow side to deep side, where it drops off quickly.

That weed bed is what we always called "high weeds" because they're in 7 - 14 feet of water and by mid summer, come almost to the surface.

The crappie I used to catch were always along the deep edge of those weeds. Since I never targeted them, I've no idea how plentiful they really are, but the "calico bass" we used to catch were BIG ... Dinner plate size.

I know they're in there, and have even seen some while snorkeling... One of these days I'm thinking I'll head down there and actually target them and see just how plentiful they are.
    Last edited by joejv4; 06-04-2007 at 07:03 AM.