Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rosy reds

Post Thanks / Like

Question Rosy reds

Someone was posting about using rosy reds instead of shiners. I bought some today at Petsmart in Lafayette,La. They are kinda small and are 12 cents apiece, but if they are more hardy its ok. I will try them this week,was planning on tomorrow if only the weather would clear. the water in the basin was 52-56 degrees yesterday and very high even though the river is dropping. What is the proper bait for yo-yo,s???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BeauxBeaux
    Someone was posting about using rosy reds instead of shiners. I bought some today at Petsmart in Lafayette,La. They are kinda small and are 12 cents apiece, but if they are more hardy its ok. I will try them this week,was planning on tomorrow if only the weather would clear. the water in the basin was 52-56 degrees yesterday and very high even though the river is dropping. What is the proper bait for yo-yo,s???

Hey, Beaux.....At 12 cents each for rosys, I would use plain shiners. I've had good luck with the Rosys while pole fishing, but you will probably lose too many of them to gar, jackfish, and turtles if fished on yoyos. You might try half and half to see which they like. If they want the rosys, feed 'em.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont know what a rosy red is but would asume its a small red fish.

12 cents a pop can add up quick so if the red color is what your after you can die your shiners with food coloring and get most any stanard color you wont.

Just put it in their water and before long ( a few hours that is) waa-laa, red shiners, blue shiners, gold shiners, ect. and it wont hurt em a bit. Ive seen em but never done it my self this guy I worked with in Monroe showed me and does this to all his bait.
    Its Just Something About That BUMP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rosey Reds

I found some of the rosey reds up in Arkansas yesterday. I am having some picked up to try out this weekend. I will let you know how they work. I heard about the food coloring thing too. I was thinking about getting 25 or so shiners today and and try the food color on them. It's hard to believe that food color in the water will do the trick. But, who knows, I'll try just about anything once. If it does maybe I can get those finicky ones to bite. Will give update after weekend.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

That food color tip is a good one. I'll fix me up 2dz for monday. Thanks.
    Rosy reds are 12 cent at the cols ga petsmart.
    gotta ask....Is it Pet Smart or Pets Mart?

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Most any place in North La and East Texas sells them along with the regular shinners. I get some of each and have not been any place that didn't have them both when I asked. I pay $3 for 1/4 pound for either one. You might check around with some local bait stands and I'm sure someone down there has em. They call em golden shinners here in Shreveport. Not to be confussed with gold fish used and sold locally for catfishing. Over on Lake of the Pines the sign says "Red Runners". I really can't tell a lot of difference but for 12 cents each, I agree with Labill, " Give me the plain ole shinners" Percher

Post Thanks / Like

Fellows, Please be careful with the food color- A Buddy tried it and came back red (up to his eyeballs). His wife was proud of him! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blankace
    red (up to his eyeballs).

You got that right your hand will be the same color as the water if you dont use gloves. :D :D
    Its Just Something About That BUMP

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down rosy reds

La Bill --- Yes sir , I,m trying to get the little things to grow up and maybe have kids for that price??? The water is so hiigh in the Lake they were drowning!!! poor little things.

FalconSmitty--- it's Pet Smart done here, maybe ya'll lost a letter;

As for the food color; ---These RR's are kind of pale BBeaux
    Last edited by BeauxBeaux; 02-12-2005 at 09:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

you gotta leave em in the water??