PDA

View Full Version : Tying Jigs

Miller
02-03-2007, 01:49 PM
I was wanting to start tying my own jigs. What does it take to get started? Does it matter if I buy a cheap vise or a more expensive one? Should I just buy a kit from Cabela's? I'm looking for any tips.

texascrappiefisherman
02-03-2007, 02:12 PM
I started with the basic kit from BPS. It is addicting so you will add to and upgrade as you continue to get into it. Cabela's has a basic kit also.

CrappieHusker
02-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Be sure to get a decent vise. The thread on my first one years ago became stripped way too easily. Texascrappiefisherman is right, it can be addictive but a good activity in the winter when you can't get out to fish!
Start with the larger fly hooks getting the basics, then can advance to the tiny guys.
Good luck!

jigsbydirk
02-03-2007, 06:15 PM
the bass pro jig tying kit is a good low cost way to start. I have tied a few thousand jigs on the vise that came with it.

willsjwills
02-03-2007, 06:29 PM
getting started from scratch can tax one's budget if you don't put some thought into it. I remember when I started and I wanted to buy everything I saw without knowing if I would use it or not, since I hadn't a clue what it took to make a crappie jig. I bought all kinds of fly tying materials that weren't needed to make crappie jigs. I bought the expensive vices, all kinds of feathers and hair, exotic threads, dubbing materials, chenille, spools of floss, and various other items that never were used in the jig making process.

first decide what type of jig you want to make. That will tell you what materials you'll need. The "all hair" jig is the simplest to make, requires less materials, and is the easiest to master. The chenille bodied jigs will require different kinds of materials and a lot of practice to master.
you can review posts by Skiptomylu and Slab Slayer 1 and look at their handiwork. Both fellows make excellent chenille bodied jigs. For pictures of the "all hair" jigs you can review some of my posts. Other folks have posted pictures, but at this moment i can't recall their handles.

Hope this helps. Come back with questions of we can help you more . lol

There are other web sites that get into more of the techinical aspects of the actual fly tying that you might go to for help. Goggle can put you on these.

england
02-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Here is how I started,and I still use this stuff. This is the poor mans jig tying kit. I only tie about 20 or thirty jigs a year. I use these jigs on one paticular lake that I fish maybe five to ten times in the spring. I use plastic bodies every where else.
They aint to pretty, but them crappie love em.

ky-slabseeker
02-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Here are a few hair jigs that I tied.I bought my kit from E Bay and I got all the tools I needed for like 21 bucks... Good luck and hang in there..It's really fun especially when you boat a big slab on a jig that you made yourself!!:D

Miller
02-03-2007, 09:17 PM
thanks for all the info. Those jigs you all tied look so good, how long will it take before I can tie that good? I mean does it take a long time to get the hang of it?

skiptomylu
02-03-2007, 11:10 PM
thanks for all the info. Those jigs you all tied look so good, how long will it take before I can tie that good? I mean does it take a long time to get the hang of it?

That is something no one can really answer for you as some never get it right. Some people don't like doing it, because of the small detailed work and don't have the patience.

I love doing it and was lucky enough that God gave me the talent to learn it very fast. I worked very hard though and put in a lot of hours. I am still learning new things all the time.

As far as tools you should take you time and really understand what is the difference in all the different vises out there. I uses a true rotary vise and I think the cheapest good rotary vise is about $80. I also have one of the cheap kind too, but I didn't use it that long and I like being able to rotate the jigs to see all sides. Really think about if you really want to do this and then take time to research what kind of tools and how much you are willing to spend in time and money.

Not everyone will buy the amount of materials I have, but this can become pretty expensive. Heck I just try to sell enough to keep buying the materials I want. At least that is as far as I have been able to accomplish. A profit is still a long way off. There are a lot of stuff out there you can use for tying jigs and flies. Remember it's a bit addictive also.

BleuGhill
02-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Okay Miller - here's hardcore, specific advice; let's find out if you're gonna like tying jigs!

Go to WalMart and buy some plain leadhead jigs. The walk back to the craft section and buy a pack of marabou feathers. Now you're out $2-3 total. Now go back to the sewing section and get a spool of any kind of thread if you don't have any. No need to worry about painting heads - trust me on this. If you can't afford factory leadhead jigs. just crimp a split-shot onto a regular hook; presto - instant jighead.

Got any clear fingernail polish? If not, go to the Dollar Store and pick some up or grab it while your're at Wally World. So now you've got less than $5 invested - less if you already have thread and fingernail polish (your head cement). Check all the MacDonalds Happy Meals for those little dolls with pink or blue hair; there's some craft hair. Raid the Christmas tree decorations for gold and silver tinsel. Man you've got a ton of materials already LOL. Oh - got a dog? Snip some of his fur! Do you have access to chickens? If so, get some hackle feathers from around the neck and dye them with RIT or Kool-Aid...or use them natural. Now do like "England" did in the above post and get your ViseGrips rigged some way to hold the hook.

Finally, go to YouTube and do a search for tying jigs and you'll see at least 3 great videos on how to do it (posted by a Crappie.com member). I believe it's 'Ded' something-or-other.
Do your research on this forum for a ton of links to basic fly-tying . Make a few to get the feel of it and if you ruin them, cut the thread and feathers off with a razor blade and do 'em over. Good luck, and hope this helps you get started!

camo john
02-04-2007, 12:52 PM
i agree with what bleughill posted some of my best jigs come from wm sewing dept

fingerlicken
02-04-2007, 01:05 PM
I have read all the post you guys have written, and I want to say thanks, you guys answered a lot of my questions also.

GrouseFly
02-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Not a better hobby will you ever find than tying your own jigs. I got hooked over 20 years ago and still enjoy it as much today as I did then. Just practice and dont give up, and the rest will take care of itself. With practice will come the knowledge that you seek........<words of experience)...lol....plus it will teach you patience and give you great peace of mind. But then again, everyone will say you are crazy after awhile....lol..or at least thats what they keep telling me. :D But yet they keep wanting jigs, so go figure...lol. NICE PICTURES GUYS.....SlabSeeker.....MIGHTY GOOD LOOKING HAIR ON THOSE JIGS....I WONDER WHO YOU GOT IT FROM????... I HAVE NEVER SEEN A CHARTRUESE CALF BEFORE...LOL. I guess if they eat enough green apples they may reach that shade....lol.....:eek:

texascrappiefisherman
02-04-2007, 03:55 PM
I just got back from Academy. They had a fly tying kit on clearance for $4.88. I bought all 3 they had. If you have an Academy in your area you might check. It is a good starter kit with a vise, scissors, bodkin, whip tool, and hackle pliers.:eek:

texascrappiefisherman
02-04-2007, 04:00 PM
By the way. I'll bring all of the spare kits from Academy to Crappie Camp and anybody who wants one can get it for $5. We'll be making jig heads and tyin jigs at some point when I do the mini seminar "Jig Tyin - from start to fishin".
Look forward to seeing everyone there.

dedfish
02-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Here's my video reference earlier.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qjbyVxA8Qn4

All great tips from everyone!

ky-slabseeker
02-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Not a better hobby will you ever find than tying your own jigs. I got hooked over 20 years ago and still enjoy it as much today as I did then. Just practice and dont give up, and the rest will take care of itself. With practice will come the knowledge that you seek........<words of experience)...lol....plus it will teach you patience and give you great peace of mind. But then again, everyone will say you are crazy after awhile....lol..or at least thats what they keep telling me. :D But yet they keep wanting jigs, so go figure...lol. NICE PICTURES GUYS.....SlabSeeker.....MIGHTY GOOD LOOKING HAIR ON THOSE JIGS....I WONDER WHO YOU GOT IT FROM????... I HAVE NEVER SEEN A CHARTRUESE CALF BEFORE...LOL. I guess if they eat enough green apples they may reach that shade....lol.....:eek:
If they eat alot of green onions their tail seems to turn this shade of green..:eek:

bobberwatcher
02-04-2007, 10:11 PM
I just got back from Academy. They had a fly tying kit on clearance for $4.88. I bought all 3 they had. If you have an Academy in your area you might check. It is a good starter kit with a vise, scissors, bodkin, whip tool, and hackle pliers.:eek:

Man, THAT SUCKS!!! I bought one about a month ago for 40ish bucks. :(

bobberwatcher
02-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Here is a cool video on using a whip finishing tool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G7b_C4flKo

Crappie Reaper
02-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Miller, I made a custom jig tying DVD just for a Crappie.com member and have shared it with a few others. PM me your address and I'll mail you one. I'll have about $3-$4 it in, (Blank DVD and mailing costs). If you like it, just send me back my expense. I did it for Mudduaber out of TX, and sent Darryl Morris one when he was interested in getting started. It's very basic, but very clear and concise.
Darryl has become quite accomplished at it, and am sure Duabber has too. Good luck!

Miller
02-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Crappie Reaper sent you a PM

bobberwatcher
02-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Okay Miller - here's hardcore, specific advice; let's find out if you're gonna like tying jigs!

Go to WalMart and buy some plain leadhead jigs. The walk back to the craft section and buy a pack of marabou feathers. Now you're out $2-3 total. Now go back to the sewing section and get a spool of any kind of thread if you don't have any. No need to worry about painting heads - trust me on this. If you can't afford factory leadhead jigs. just crimp a split-shot onto a regular hook; presto - instant jighead.

Got any clear fingernail polish? If not, go to the Dollar Store and pick some up or grab it while your're at Wally World. So now you've got less than $5 invested - less if you already have thread and fingernail polish (your head cement). Check all the MacDonalds Happy Meals for those little dolls with pink or blue hair; there's some craft hair. Raid the Christmas tree decorations for gold and silver tinsel. Man you've got a ton of materials already LOL. Oh - got a dog? Snip some of his fur! Do you have access to chickens? If so, get some hackle feathers from around the neck and dye them with RIT or Kool-Aid...or use them natural. Now do like "England" did in the above post and get your ViseGrips rigged some way to hold the hook.

Finally, go to YouTube and do a search for tying jigs and you'll see at least 3 great videos on how to do it (posted by a Crappie.com member). I believe it's 'Ded' something-or-other.
Do your research on this forum for a ton of links to basic fly-tying . Make a few to get the feel of it and if you ruin them, cut the thread and feathers off with a razor blade and do 'em over. Good luck, and hope this helps you get started!

I did just this very thing tonight except I already have a vise from my jig kit. Bought some Marabou feathers (various colors), some painted lead heads, clear fingernail polish and some bright green, yellow and orange thread. Here are my 2nd, 3rd and 4th jigs in that order, starting from the top. They ain't pretty, but i'm a beginner :D

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o196/bobberwatcher/PICT0222.jpg

BleuGhill
02-06-2007, 06:12 AM
...at's what I'm talking 'bout!! You're The Man! And I'll bet that you catch fish on those! Now that you know how to 'fish', you'll never need anyone else to 'feed' you ha ha.

Besides fishing, my other passion is practicing primitive skills (flintknapping, making self-bows, fire with bow drill, cordage from plant fibers, bone tools, bone fishhooks, etc.). One thing that I have learned from all this is to make do with minimal resources. This 'minimalist' approach will serve anyone well in any endeavor, and *learning* does not require a bunch of money.

Good for you Bobberwatcher!

england
02-06-2007, 06:27 AM
Those are some fine looking jigs bobberwatcher

Crappie Reaper
02-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Here's a couple of pics of jigs I tied last year. Nothin fancy, but it does not take much to fool a big 'ol Crappie.
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5931/homespun3mc.jpg
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/7537/jigs3fq.jpg

Nightprowler
02-06-2007, 08:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQJsUD2cyiQ
fly tying class on internet

Crappie Reaper
03-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Miller, post some pics of your new jigs once you ty up a few.

crappiekeith
03-02-2007, 12:42 PM
get a 10$ AA vise,a few spools of prewaxed mono cord thread at 1.50$each,a bottle of Fleximent glue at $2.50 and a few colors of kiptails at 3$ each.
A good scissors and a box of razor blades which is 5$ in the painting dept. at fleetfarm.
Cabelas makes prepainted heads for about 17$ a hundred.They sell 25 count packs as well for less.
It took me several hundred to make them look like these.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/palisade1kid/HPIM1518.jpg

I paint & pour my own heads as I like the process.It's a great hobby & to get fish on them is awesome.
These pics will give you an idea of the size of an 80th oz. the second has a 64 & 100.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/palisade1kid/HPIM1517.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h209/palisade1kid/HPIM1515.jpg

DC Crappie Kid
03-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Hey, I notice several of you paint your own jigheads...what kind of paint do you use? I just started tying my own this weekend, and the only decent jigheads for sale around here are not painted. Thanks!

guest01
03-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Cabelas makes prepainted heads for about 17$ a hundred.They sell 25 count packs as well for less.

17.00 per hundred:D thats what I get for my sickle hook jigs with free shipping right now.:D

DC Crappie Kid
03-04-2007, 10:20 PM
I appriciate the afore mentioned information, but could someone please tell me what kind of paint is used for jigheads?

crappiekeith
03-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Hey, I notice several of you paint your own jigheads...what kind of paint do you use? I just started tying my own this weekend, and the only decent jigheads for sale around here are not painted. Thanks!

Vinyl or powder paint.

DC Crappie Kid
03-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks Keith; any preferance between vinyl/powder? And where do I buy it?

willsjwills
03-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks Keith; any preferance between vinyl/powder? And where do I buy it?
you can buy either at barlows, bass pro. or cabelas

DC Crappie Kid
03-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Awesome. Looking at both on BPS.com, I'm thinking vinyl sounds easiest. Am I right? It's also a little cheaper. So I'm guessing powder is brighter/more durable? There has to be some reason to buy it over vinyl. Thanks for the advice!

outdoorarki
03-06-2007, 07:30 PM
For a cheap vise you can take the blade out of a ezacto knife and clamp the handle in a bench vise.