Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: bream/bluegill spawn

Post Thanks / Like

Default bream/bluegill spawn

when do you start looking for the spawn ? same time as crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

From the FWC for Florida Bluegills:

Spawning Habits - Bluegills are well known for "bedding" in large groups, with their circular beds touching one another. Bedding occurs in water two to six feet deep over sand, shell or gravel, and often among plant roots when the bottom is soft. Spawning occurs from April through October with the peak in May and June, when water temperature rises to about 78-80 degrees. A female may lay 2,000 to 63,000 eggs, which hatch 30 to 35 hours after fertilization.
    From the FWC for Florida Specks:

Spawning Habits - Spawning occurs from February to April when water temperatures reach 62 to 65 degrees. They nest in colonies. Circular nest are fanned by males over gravel or soft-muddy bottoms and frequently around submerged vegetation in waters from three to eight feet deep. After spawning, males guard the eggs and fry. Females may produce between 11,000 and 188,000 eggs.
    I imagine that times will vary according to national regions or from state to state. I have seen Bluegill spawning as early as March depending on the weather and water temperature warming up. Other species of bream like Shellcracker (Redear) or Redbreast may start the spawn in March or May (earlier or later).
    Last edited by dixieangler; 11-20-2006 at 11:05 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Up here, we figure on June - right after crappie. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Default pre-spawn/spawn bull gills

My sons and I usually find the gill staged just off spawning grounds at about the time we get the first run of big specks on the spawning turf. About the time the second run of speck comes in the first batch of gills are coming in to create some beds. By the time the last batch of crappies is spawning the gills are really getting into the swing of the spawn.
    As far as time frame goes,it varies, but up here in northern and central Michigan the crappies are starting around the first of May and rapping it up around the mid June. The gills on the other hand are really just getting started around the first of June and may extend well into July. Of course it all depends on the weather. If it is a long cold winter with late ice it might all start a couple weeks later or vice versa on an early spring.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Bama ...... round here :

Quote Originally Posted by bama647
    when do you start looking for the spawn ? same time as crappie?
    For "gills" -
    Full Moon ... May thru Sept ... given the right water temps ... up here in Bluegrass Country !! I start expecting "spawning", by the Crappie, in anywhere from early April to mid May -- depending on the body of water, area of the state, and the weather's effects. ..... cp

Post Thanks / Like

In NC they spawn in late May-early June and later in October.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    For "gills" -
    Full Moon ... May thru Sept ... given the right water temps ... up here in Bluegrass Country !! I start expecting "spawning", by the Crappie, in anywhere from early April to mid May -- depending on the body of water, area of the state, and the weather's effects. ..... cp
    I agree-here in Tn. Its the same.seen 7 caught some dandys while fishin the willows for Crappie. Gills will spawn several times a year
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com