Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Welcome Louisiana Crappie Fishermen

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Welcome Louisiana Crappie Fishermen

Whether you call them crappie,white perch, calicos, slabs or specs, they're all the same fish and we love to fish for them. I'm looking forward to exchanging tips, rigging, techniques, and lake info with all of you. Post a message and tell us about your last catch and maybe even send a few photos. I begged Ed to put Louisiana on the board, and he agreed only if there were a monitor, so lets get this thread stretched out and share some crappie tales (no pun intended).

labill

Post Thanks / Like

Louisiana Bill (aka labill) sounds like he's going to be a lot of fun on this board. He's got a good sense of humor and seems to really like to fish for Crappie. Just so you know, you can post pics right here in the message, although the pic already has to be hosted somewhere (if it's not on the net already, you can Attach Files at the lower end of the "New Thread" page).

Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Talking The better part of valor...

You're right, Ed, I do love to fish for crappie, although I fish for bass also. I learned to love crappie in Arkansas, specifically at Lake Nimrod and Blue Mountain Lake close to Russellville. Two of the best lakes for crappie I have ever seen. My favorite way to fish them is to wade fish with a 9' fly rod and a jig. I usually start wading after about two weeks of a million boats fishing the outside of the buckbrush line. The crappie will be about 15 ft. inside the brush line where the boats can't reach them, and they are buried deep in the brush. I fish 2 to 2 1/2 ft. deep, and I pull the jig all the way to the rod tip and weave it thru the brush to the main trunk, and slowly lower the lure. Usually they will hit it visciously before it even gets to depth. It's challenging, and more fun than you can imagine, and the best way to get them out is to again pull the jig and fish to the end of the rod, and back out till you're clear of the brush. I liked it so much I tried it here in Louisiana, but unfortunately about time crappie are bedding the 'gators are nesting also, and I got a bit more attention from them than I really wanted, they are aggressive and defensive! After a few close encounters I decided I do just fine in the boat, and me and the 'gators could remain friends.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey labill,
    We have several Louisiana members here and they'll find this new state board. Thanks for taking the monitoring position. I live on Black River Lake and several of our main message board members fish in the area around my home. I haven't had a lot of luck lately. All this rain has my home lake around eight feet higher than normal for this time of year and it all came in one week time. I'm catching mostly small ones, six to nine inches long. When the weather settles down, maybe things will pick up....Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

Afternoon, Pooch....
    Ditto on my home lake. We got our rain a few weeks past, and on the last trip the water was falling a minimum of 10 inches per day. Needless to say, we didn't hurt the population. Ended the day w/ 2 males and 1 female that hadn't spawned. The males were twins in weight @ 1 1/4 lbs. each, and the female 2 lbs. and 5 oz. She has probably dominoed by now. Best of luck, Pooch! Spread th' word.