HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: i just bought

Post Thanks / Like

Default i just bought

an ugly stik UL rod and a shimano sedona 750...:rolleyes:

yay
    SIGNATURE COMING SOON

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just bought new 8ft. 2-piece fiberglass EagleClaw 5-6wt. fly rod with an Okuma 5/6 disc drag single action reel, spare spool, and new fly lines with backing. It will be a 5wt. as that is the fly line I will be putting on it. Nice addition to my little 6.5ft. graphite 4-5wt. outfit that is a 4wt. as it is loaded with 4wt. line. Can't wait to get it into action as soon as the spare spool and fly lines come in.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i know how that feels..i cant wait till i go fishing on monday...

exciting
    SIGNATURE COMING SOON

Post Thanks / Like

I ought to clarify the difference. My 5-6wt. rod is actually a 6wt. rod as that is the maximum line rating but with the 5wt. line, it becomes a 5wt. outfit to me. If that makes any sense at all. Some folks would call the outfit a 6wt. due to the rod max. line rating. But I call the outfit by whatever line I happen to have loaded on it. I have a fishing buddy that uses fast action graphite fly rods and overlines his outfits by one line size so the rod tip will load line for faster line casting but he calls his outfits by the rod max. line rating. What do you fly anglers call your "outfits", based on the rod max. line rating or by the actual line on the outfit? Just curious . Maybe I'm using the wrong wt. designation.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Depends......
    When we go fishing we usually carry two rods.......one heavy and one light. One for bass and stripers and one for BG's and crappies. If it is a long trip or a guest is along, we usually carry a mid-range spare also. Mostly our outfits are referred to as the "big pole", the "little pole", and the "spare pole". ;-)
    ....lee s.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the thread link on this subject (same questions) over on the FAOL Warm Water Forum. Seems I'm not alone in going by the actual fly line used for the outfit .

Rod/outfit line weight designations?
    Last edited by dixieangler; 08-13-2006 at 01:33 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Well outlaw that I am I usually use one wt heavier line than pole sez. and its always a wf line.