Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minn Kota trolling motor?

RustyO Guest

Smile Minn Kota trolling motor?

Hi all,

Just purchased an 18 ft Pontoon Sun Tracker Bass Buggy and want to add a trolling motor for fishing and as a "get me toward the dock if the 50 HP stops running". I'm looking at the Minn Kota PowerDrive 54 or 68 bow mount. The 54 is 12 volt and the 68 is 24 volt. Other than more thrust is there any other benifits to the 68 "24 volt" which will cost me more for batteries? Any opinions about thrust size and voltage will be appreciated. Also wondering if there are transom mounts available for a second backup gas engine. Seem's as though they would be sitting to low for a pull start.

Thanks,

Rusty

Post Thanks / Like

check out these people. I just bought a minnkota 55pd with ap. they have all kinds of motors for toons. http://www.ultimatepassage.com/cgi-bin/up/index.html
    But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

GRLKY Guest

The 12V model will be suffecient for your 18' toon, but, if you have the money, and plan to do a lot of trolling, I would get the 24V. With the 24V you can troll around for a long, long time, unless you're running wide open. Yes you do have more expense for batteries, but I would be most concerned with the battery placement. Do you have the room for 2 deep cycles? Also, consider the weight. If your two TM batterys, the starting battery, and you at the helm, are all on the starboard side, you are probably going to be listing to that side whether your wide open or just sitting in the water.

As for adding a kicker to a toon, I can't say I've ever seen it done. I personally think it would be overkill. The good 24V trolling motor will get you back to the ramp if you ever need it to.

And, welcome to Crappie.com!

RustyO Guest

Thanks for the suggestions. After posting this message I found added information on the Main Forum that was very helpful as well. I did purchase the Minn Kota 68 24 volt.

Thanks again,

Rusty