Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: High Water...Lots of Brush

Post Thanks / Like

Question High Water...Lots of Brush

We have had a lot of rain here lately and the small lake that I fish is really high. There is brush all around the bank that I usually pull fish after fish out of, but with the high water they have moved to a back part that is brush going back about 30 yards that I cannot get to. I hear them splashing around in there like crazy. What would be the best approach? I am thinking a really long cane pole and tightline a cricket or worm. I have not really used anything that long though especially in this much brush. Can i expect to snag a lot and lose a lot of hooks or is it pretty simple? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a long (10') pole with line guides, you can tie on a 1/48 or 1/64oz jig and tip it with your choice. Let out about 3-4' of line and grab the line by the reel and pull the line until the jig stops at the tip of the pole. Find a hole to stick it in and release the line. It works for fishing buckbrush in my home waters.

Post Thanks / Like

Try wading? :D

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about it, but I have seen a lot of snakes lately. I dont do snakes!!! I thought about just running the jon boat as far as a could in there and letting it all settle and see what happens. i will try the long pole before i do that though. i just know i have caught a lot of fish and with this water they are where i cannot get to them. i usually use a jig and spinner but will try a jig or a cricket i guess.

Post Thanks / Like

We use 12' b N m jig poles like in the above post, very effective. Also some time find a thin spot on the brush and use land scape shears w about 2 ft handles to cut a path for jon boat. The onlyy problem is that you have to go all the way back to the opening to get out.

rod