Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bait sacks ?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Bait sacks ?

My barber gave me a "bait sack" to set out in the lake at home. It was the first I had heard of them (but I don't get around much, ). He told me to put a heavy rock in it, fill it with dog food, and sink it a day of so before fishing the area. Have any of you had any experience with these?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait sacks.....

Quote Originally Posted by kenmc77777
    My barber gave me a "bait sack" to set out in the lake at home. It was the first I had heard of them (but I don't get around much, ). He told me to put a heavy rock in it, fill it with dog food, and sink it a day of so before fishing the area. Have any of you had any experience with these?

Thanks!

Sure have, Ken.......but I used a sweet grain mix for horses and mules instead of dogfood. Seemed to work good. There were always schools of minnows around it and we always caught crappie in those places. That was in Arkansas when It was legal, I don't know what the LA laws are where baiting is concerned, but I would check before I took a chance on it. I've also seen some fishermen use cans of dogfood with holes poked in them with icepicks, they just drop a couple cans in each spot. I think it was ruled illegal in AR a few years past, but it's still legal to chum for trout with corn last time I checked. You've got me thinking about doing it myself.... I'll check w/ Game and Fish to see if it's ok. Will let you know what they say.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait Sacks....

Ken.......got a quick response from Wildlife and Fisheries. They said they know of no laws that prohibit that practice. I'll forward their response to you. Glad you reminded me of the sack bait, now that I know that it's legal I'm going to try it again. Yeah, the fishing has been slow enough for me to try anything that's legal. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Ken
    What is the "sack" made of?? I have done similar using the wife's old hose.

Ranger 375
    Illinois
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello, Ranger375....

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger375
    Ken
    What is the "sack" made of?? I have done similar using the wife's old hose.

Ranger 375
    Illinois

I use paper sacks with small holes cut into them. The reasoning there is so that the minnows can get a good taste of the bait, and paper is also bio-degradable over time and doesn't leave trash laying on the bottom. As I mentioned in my post, I've seen guys use cans of dog food with holes punched in them and just drop them in their "honey hole." They work well also, but the cans will be there for a long time. I've used hose too, but my wife didn't care much for me "jackin" her nylons. :D I would tie them to a limb just deep enough that the cord isn't visible to others. They didn't degrade over time, so I pulled them up and added more bait as needed. The best ones are the ones that have "runs" in them. The ones that didn't have runs are the ones that got me in trouble, I had to poke holes in them, and you can imagine a wife's reaction. I've also heard finely crushed egg shells will attract minnows if dropped into a brushpile, (no sack) just pour them in the water over your top. Never tried it, but I'm saving eggshells to check it out. Good luck, and be sure to check your state's regs.

Post Thanks / Like

I have just come in from the lake.
    Ranger, the sack is made of nylon mesh. It will hold a coffee cans worth I guess. In fact, it is tied off right now, full of cotton seed meal range cubes that I bought today. I also filled a grapefruit sack - like a onion sack, but smaller, and I sank it also, and tied it off as well, so I hope to be able to refill them later. I also bought a bale of alfalfa hay and sank it as well in a little log jam. And Moma better lock up her drawers - hose drawers I mean. :D
    I had checked with the officials here at the lake berfore I contimplated all this labill. But thanks for making double sure for us with the LA WF. I live here at the lake so I'll be able to keep a close eye on things.
    How long before you think this could take effect?
    Oh, and I am setting yo-yo's tomorrow night. I made me some "t"'s this week, and I'm ready to bait up a dozen just to check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ken,

I have seen more negative results from using dog food and the likes than good, if you consider good catching crappie. The reason for this, more than likely, is that I have always brushed the places that I fish. Other people, thinking they are doing all the good will bless on of these tops with dog food or cotton seed cake. All this seems to do is produce trash fish, which in turn seem to run the crappie out. Now maybe using that method of attracting all out by itself might have a better effect. I can also tell you this. My dad tried using a tot sack full of catfish food once, and it did pull the cat fish in. I can still remember having to help skin 32 of those kitties…
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I had already checked with DNR about chummin here in Illinois. The officer i talked with always chums for catfish but had never thought of using for crappie.

There was an article in one of the fishing magazines a couple of years ago about chummin for crappie. This is what the heated fishing docks do to attract fish for thier customers.

Ranger375

PS The article said they would place bags out in seeral locations and then when ever went fishing they would go around and fill them. Come back to them that same day and be catching off each area.
    Last edited by Ranger375; 10-29-2004 at 07:31 AM.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Tommy, I heard the same thing - but I have also talked to some that have had good results. I suppose it depends on the lake, etc. To be on the safe side, I just tried mine around some stumps. I used the cotton seed meal range cubes and not dog food. I have heard that it works better for crappie and the dog food attracts more carp and catfish. In any event, not all is lost, I have been known to eat catfish. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait sack....

Quote Originally Posted by kenmc77777
    I have just come in from the lake.
    Ranger, the sack is made of nylon mesh. It will hold a coffee cans worth I guess. In fact, it is tied off right now, full of cotton seed meal range cubes that I bought today. I also filled a grapefruit sack - like a onion sack, but smaller, and I sank it also, and tied it off as well, so I hope to be able to refill them later. I also bought a bale of alfalfa hay and sank it as well in a little log jam. And Moma better lock up her drawers - hose drawers I mean. :D
    I had checked with the officials here at the lake berfore I contimplated all this labill. But thanks for making double sure for us with the LA WF. I live here at the lake so I'll be able to keep a close eye on things.
    How long before you think this could take effect?
    Oh, and I am setting yo-yo's tomorrow night. I made me some "t"'s this week, and I'm ready to bait up a dozen just to check it out.

ken.......in most cases it can take 2 to 3 days to attract minnows in number. I've also caught crappie the next day, but only in waters that had some current. I assume the current spread the scent downstream and baitfish just followed it to the bait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast