Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Go West!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Go West!

Hello KS CDC! Did ya miss me? Well, probably not...:p

I just returned from a little over a week's vacation and 2 hunting trips. Just wanted to report that there are still some pheasants left over from opening weekend. Actually, there WERE a LOT of birds left!:D

I was in Decatur county last week during the blizzard! Actually, we were out hunting while the snow was piling up and the actual temps were below zero. I didn't check the wind chill because I didn't want to know.:o We saw birds by the bucketload, but they were extremely spooky! I guess the whiteout had them jumpy... It was a really fun trip anyway, and I LOVE hunting in the snow! We never saw another group of hunters all day, but I would guess the weather had something to do with that...

Over the weekend, we went down to SW Kansas. Pretty much hunted in a triangle formed by Dodge City, Kinsley, and Jetmore. AWESOME HUNTING!!!:D Got half our birds on WIHA! The birds were used to the snow by now, and we got a few more to hold for us. I couldn't believe the hunting pressure down there this year. Trucks pulling dog trailers were everywhere. Orange hats at every gas station! Still, it was more than worth the trip. On Sunday, I managed to shoot my limit before lunch. Can't say I've ever done that before, but I'm not the best shot either!:rolleyes:

If any of y'all are considering a trip out west, GO! I was impressed that the bird populations are still very strong out there. The only truly poor area we walked was south of Dodge City. Everything else was PHEASANT DINNER!!!:D:D

Pictures to follow once I get them off the camera.
    I am just pullin' your leg.:D

Post Thanks / Like

My Dad left this morning headed to KS to bird hunt. We live in central AR. I didn't get to go because of work. It is just him and his two dogs, an 8 yr old male brittany, and a 8 month old male brittany. He said he wanted to go to see what the pup would do before sending him to school. He also said if he done good then me and him would go back. He said that they have quite selling '09 license for the year? If he buys a '10 license could he hunt the last few days of this year? I just spoke with him and he is going to call ya'lls game dept. in the morning. I will report how he does. Sure wish I was with him.
    nothing beats time on the water

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to your dad. Yes, a 2010 license that is purchased now is good for the remainder of 2009, as well as all of 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

Default A few pics

Here are a few pics.

As you can see, we almost had our 3-man limit by lunch on Sunday. That's good hunting, I don't care where you are! Also probably the first time in my life that I was the first one done.

Some other pics... The longest spurs I can ever remember seeing on a rooster. The photo doesn't do justice, these things were daggers! The dog's face after working a patch of wheat stubble filled with some kind of burrs I didn't recognize. They weren't cockle burrs or sand burrs, but they sure packed some nasty thorns! Also a pic of the truck demonstrating what happens to the roads out there when the snow starts melting.:o
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Default Congrats!

Nice Job, Chris. Sounds like you had a great hunt. Thanks for the pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Report and Pics

I went out around Luray and up into Osborne Co. the first wk of Dec just as it started to turn cold. Spent 2 and a half days by myself and 2 dogs. One dog is a fair hunter the other is young and hasn't figured out what her nose is for. Hunted all WIHA, didn't really see many birds but did manage to miss two I should have had. Lots of grain still wasen't cut. I may have to try again south of 70 before the season ends. Glad to see you guys did good.

thanks again, Dan