Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line for trolling crankbaits

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line for trolling crankbaits

What is everyone's preference for line when trolling cankbaits? Type, size, color, etc. I am setting up 8 new rod/reels that will only be used for crankbaits and am looking for input and suggestions.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

I use power Pro 30/10 red and yellow. I fish a clear lake and the colored line does not seem to affect the bite. Don't lose as many baits with the braided line as I did with mono.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

10lb Sufix hi-vis yellow.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had enough money to have 8 poles only used for crankbaits.
    Rend Lake Crappie Guides
    www.crappiextreme.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieClint View Post
    I wish I had enough money to have 8 poles only used for crankbaits.

Cheap reels and cheep rods (my father in law came across a deal on some rods). I hope the rods workout, if not my plan is shot. I am going to use all short rods (6') for the crankbaits and I can keep them stored in my rod box at all times without them gettting in the way.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

12 lb Hi-Vis P-line is the ticket. Six foot rods should work fine. Look for medium heavy heavy action so you get the strength you need but with some rod tip wiggle so you will know your crank is working properly. Spring for one line counter reel and mark off the line with a permanent marker on the others. Get a rubber landing net and some needle nose pliers and you should be good to go. Keep us posted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with creekslick on the braided. Last year after I switched to braid I got a bandit 300 hung up in a tree top and was able with a little effort to yank it loose. When it came up it had another 300 hooked to it that I had broke off the week before when using Mono. With the braided line and a lure knocker I very seldom loose a lure.
    Last edited by CastandBlast; 04-14-2009 at 06:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 50/12 spiderwire in yellow. Found a good deal on a 1200' spool on Ebay year before last. WORKS well on hangups. I don't do this much until the heat of the summer but it is effective at times. I use 6' rods also.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 12lb Fireline and have little trouble losing baits. It's either 4 or 6lb diameter. With this line, I can handle the occasional bass, drum or pike that might want to join in on the fun.

With the braid, also, the rods must be flexible sos the hooks will not tear free from the papermouths and their vicious spontaneous strikes.

I don't troll until post spawn. It seems to get better as the summer gets closer. Sometimes, up in the day when it starts to get windy and you could feel a strike from a jig if your life depended upon it, I take to the trolling.

It's all about having fun. You won't fill your limit by trolling, usually, but you will catch some hefty slabs and have bunches of fun.

Be sure and get a lure retriever--either buy one or make it yourself and use it with an old reel. Mine is just a circle metal key chain deal with a few strands of small chain threaded on it. The 'circle' is hooked to the nylon twine that I spooled onto the dedicated reel. I just thread it on the main line and let 'er bump the bait during free-fall. You will get your lure nine times out of ten.

Have fun and tell us all about it! <><

aj

Post Thanks / Like

Been using 12# Vanish floro, really like the transition (color changing)
    version of it but I'm too tight to pay the extra $3-4 a spool for it so went
    back to the clear.

When I use this up tho may revisit power pro in 30# or so - chaps my
    behind to lose a bait to a stinkin catfish. You know how they like to roll
    up in the line, well I've lost a few after having them played out and on top
    of the water. I believe the line frayed into from sawing on their side fins...
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast