Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: similarities between ice fishing tactics and regular open water tactics?

Post Thanks / Like

Default similarities between ice fishing tactics and regular open water tactics?

This year was one of my best ice fishing seasons and I caught hundreds of panfish using vertical presentations.
    I know hair jigs work great for perch and crappie, regardless of size, but I usually work them horizontally in warm water versus vertically.
    Ice fishing requires tipping the jig or spoon with a meal worm or other live bait.

Do the above lures worked vertically in ice fishing, crossover to crappie fishing in warm or deeper water? I've used vertical techniques for prespawn crappie that hit just about anything. I'm wondering if on-the-bottom post spawn crappie will hit better pinpointing them with overhead lure placement?

Sam

Post Thanks / Like

similarities between ice fishing tactics and regular open water tactics? It' all water..LOL
    We don't have MUCH of that here in TX.I have had frost on my seats before....Does that count?????LOL....Have you ever had one thats too big to get out of the hole???

Post Thanks / Like

Default We usually have to keep things moving

I'm guessing the water temp has something to do with it, but when we're ice fishing, we don't move the jig much, other than a little sideways or up-and-down twitch. When we've tried using a quiet jig on deep mid-summer crappie at "our" lake, we don't do as well as when we move things horizontally through the water - even if we just let the bait drift, rather than using cast-and-retrieve. Success probably varies a great deal from one lake to another. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern