Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best Days to Fish April & May

trotsky13 Guest

Default Best Days to Fish April & May

Hello, I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best days were to fish in April and May here in Missouri? Trying to plan a fishing trip for either of the two months. Thanks for your help, this is a great site!

Post Thanks / Like

That is a tough question to be answered, alot depends on the unpredicatable weather. It could be sunny and 70 one day the next day might be 40 and raining. I would say anytime after 2nd week of April to 2nd or 3rd week of May. That is if you are looking to hit the spawn, but also depends what lakes you are wanting to fish. They all dont spawn at the same time.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

trotsky13 Guest

Thanks Ted, well we're going to Truman Lake in Missouri and were thinking of the 3rd to 4th week of April. I didn't know if there were any charts that stated any info on best times. Also, about when do Crappie spawn? Thanks for the info as I'm new to crappie fishing but am loving it the more I go! Can't wait to take my kids! Just want to try and take them when activity might be decent as to not to bore them. Again, thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

I always plan a trip to Truman the 3rd week in April. We have only been disappointed one year. We had a cold front move in and shut the bite down. We did limit out on our last day that week. Bucksaw on the Grand River portion of the lake warms up slightly earlier than the rest of the lake so the spawn usually hits earlier there. If the water isn't 62 degrees on the main lake, we go up to Bucksaw. Tons of brush piles and a meandering channel, so go slow until you get a feel for where the channel is. Chartruese Maribou, Black and Chartruese Maribou and White Maribou jigs are what we predominantly use. 1/16th oz. if they are shallow. 1/8th if they are deep. Road Runners work well in these colors also.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

That would be a good time to try. I dont think there is anything anything that says exactly when the fish will spawn. I have heard when the dogwood trees bloom, and other tales. But the only way to find out is by going. Also since you said that u was fishing Truman. Check www.aroundthelake.com, then fishing reports, the guys at Sterret Creek Marine will soon be start posting reports. They are the best reports that I have found truman. Will only be a short time till the marina opens up and reports start flowing in. He puts reports up at least once a week if not twice. Also welcome to the board..
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

trotsky13 Guest

Ted/Kit, again thanks! I'll check that link out as well as that part of the lake. I can't wait to get out there and fish. Great site you have here!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie show

In fisherman has a show on tonight that has a segment about crappie fishing, check it out its on the outdoor chanell at 8 pm.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie