Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rods for spider rigging?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rods for spider rigging?

I have decided to buy 8 rods for spider rigging. I have no experience in doing this, and would like to know everyones opinion on length, brand, and style. I have chosen to use the 4per t-bar driftmaster rod holders. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been very happy with the Wally Marshall series from BPS. 8 to 12 foot rods. The little round (open face) WM reels however really suck. I like the little spinning reals the best.

Post Thanks / Like

BnM poles are great! Try out the BGJP, ive been using them for years. Excellent action for trolling.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried all types of rods and have found BnM poles to be the best. Like Drill Instructor said the BGJP rods are good. The Pro Staff Trolling rods are excellent because you can use heavier weight and the rod won't bow as much. I have not tried the Capps and Coleman rods yet but I'm sure they are well worth the money. If your looking to get in cheap, go for the Slo-trollers. They are fiberglass and a bit heavy but will work fine in a rod holder. That is where they are gonna be when spider rigging. That is a fast way to get a set up if your on a budget. If money is not an option then go with the higher end poles. better sensitivity. The slo-trollers also telescope. Making them easier to store if room on the boat is an issue. BnM poles are also easier to get replacement tip sections for than the Wally Marshalls if you happen to break one. This will happen at some point. If they are made of graphite, any abuse of the rod will create a weak spot. You have to be carefull with them. Take good care of them and they will last for years. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Following up on Huntin-n-fishin's question, which Wally Marshall rod would you recommend for spider rigging? The tightline? Universal Crappie? I'm wanting to get set up for Spider rigging as well but have had a tough time figuring out which rods to buy. Is a rod especially designed for trolling better (Tightline Special, Pro Staff troller, Capps & Coleman) or a lighter more general purpose rod (Graphite jig pole, universal crappie, etc)? Sorry for all of the questions, but the experience and knowledge of you guys may save a novice like myself a lot of money and headaches.

Thanks in advance for your help

Post Thanks / Like

If your planning to do more than just troll with the rods (jigging,casting,flipping) then go with the lighter rods. BGJP is a well balanced rod for all. Wally marshalls are too tip heavy for my taste but don't get me wrong. They get the job done. If You are going to be doing some serious trolling, then go with the ones that are designed for it (Capps and Coleman, Pro Staff Trollers, or the Wally Marshall trolling series) These rods are designed to use light or heavier weights when spider rigging. The heavier weights will help you on windy days when your bow may be bouncing a bit. the heavier weight helps keep your bait from bouncing up and down under water, looking more natural. These rods also have a very sensitive tip so going with a light weight works great as well. the lighter rods will bend over bad when you put over 1/2 ounce of weight on. This will make it more difficult to detect strikes and you may have to adjust your rod holders. My suggestion to you is get the the trolling rods for spider rigging and then get a nice 10' rod for jigging,casting,flipping. Then you will be set up for just about all conditions. The lighter rod will not tire your arm out as bad after a long day of fishing. The trolling rods go in the holders so it does not realy matter. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

E-mail me your questions and I will try to help.

[email protected]
    Last edited by charlie H; 02-21-2007 at 05:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If Cost Is Not An Issue Bnm Pro Staff Trolling Rods 16ft (50 $).if You Are On A Budget I Would Buy The Bnm Slotrollers 16 Ft(17$), 20 Ft(20$).the Longer The Better.i Have 14 16 And 20 Ft Rods And I Catch A Lot More On The Rods That Are Furthest Awy From The Boat.unless You Will Be Longlining Off Of The Back And Then Length Of Rods Will Not Matter.i Fish Off Of The Front With A Mix Of Bnm Pst And Wally Marshall Tightline And I Keep 8 Bnm Slotroller In My Rodbox For Someone To Fish Off The Back

Post Thanks / Like

Default slo trolls

I agree that finacially the BnM slotrolls are a good route to go, thats all I've used for 2 years now and for the money they treat me well. Thats not to say I haven't already decided to start upgrading them this year:rolleyes: