Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Govt. suggests eating only 1 fish a month

Post Thanks / Like

Default Govt. suggests eating only 1 fish a month

I was reading our local PA Fishing regulation book and never noticed they recommend only eating 1 meal with fish per month. I guess because of Mercury in our water is high? Our area has been horrible for fishing this summer until the last week or so and I haven't really had any interest in keeping the few I do catch. But with everything coming back I'd like to start keeping a few for the winter months but that kind of makes me a bit leery on eating them. Anyone else have any warnings like that. (this is for Lake Erie and all it's tribs.)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a person that believes in "everything in moderation". The media has gone favorable & unfavorable on so many intake issues over the years that it's difficult to separate truth from fiction. Take coffee for example. On any given day you can read/hear that it's a bad thing for you.....then it's a good thing!? Same with alcohol. So, I just adhere to the moderation viewpoint and ignore what it is that I cannot control. I eat at least one meal of fish every week. Would I eat it more often? I don't think so, but I have in the past and I'm still kicking at 72. JMO.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Here in TN they publish an advisory each year for bodies of water that have contamination....telling what it is...which fish not to eat...and in some cases you can't eat any of the fish from a particular body of water.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by floaterguy View Post
    I was reading our local PA Fishing regulation book and never noticed they recommend only eating 1 meal with fish per month. I guess because of Mercury in our water is high? Our area has been horrible for fishing this summer until the last week or so and I haven't really had any interest in keeping the few I do catch. But with everything coming back I'd like to start keeping a few for the winter months but that kind of makes me a bit leery on eating them. Anyone else have any warnings like that. (this is for Lake Erie and all it's tribs.)
    Listening to the government and the media has gotten us into the predicament we have been and currently are in......
    Now, moderation is the key as stated above. Enjoy your harvest/catch whenever you like. It's still a free country!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Likes ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Michigan DNR puts out a list every year of what servings size and how much per month from which lakes and if a lake is really bad; post big yellow warning signs on bulletin boards at launches or post on shore line parks . I Do NOT ignore the posted warning as most are because of weed control/ evasive species chemicals , The Mercury heavy metal list. I think because modern technology has made insturments that can detect amounts so small that the goverment feels they have to put up a warning for fear of law suits. I grew up with abesstos covered pipes in the steam heated schools ,played with Mercury from busted thermometers( now they close the school down and call in HazMed team if the nurse drops a thermometer) and I chewed on lead painted toys, walls an such, and my own government seen I got agent orange and covered in DEET. So if I'm wanting to eat more than one heaping plate of fish a week , watch out for the sparks from the knife and fork.
    I thought fish trembled when they heard my name.......then I heard the laughter

Post Thanks / Like

Government EPA They put signs up in our parks a few years back to not let your children eat more than 10lbs a month of the lumber in the parks as it contained toxic chemicals. I will keep on keepin on eating what I catch and know is fresh and well taken care of vs what is in markets. Heck ya can't even trust companies to keep ice cream safe anymore.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I for one do not believe the Goverment LOL I eats em whin I wont to. RR

Post Thanks / Like

Having grown up around some of these waters that have advisories I take them seriously. I saw first hand the chemicals dumped into theses streams but as a kid didn't really realize what was going on. Heck Nashville is still dumping some raw sewage into the Cumberland River. They don't have the money to build new treatment plant so they just pay the fine. To me they shouldn't be allowed to dump it at all.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes jdstraka LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I can't be any worse than the fish and meat we get for the store now days. Most of the catfish you buy now come for over seas and god knows what's been done to it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm dyin early.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast