Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Lining using 10lb hi viz mono?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long Lining using 10lb hi viz mono?

I want to use my 8 pulling crank bait rods for long lining jigs. Problem is that the crank bait rods have 10lb high viz mono on them? I have always used lighter 6lb hi viz mono for longlining. Problem is that I have limited space in my boat and want to have the option to either pull crankbaits or long line jigs but don't want to carry 16 long rods. Any one here use 10lb line for longlining jigs? Does 10lb mono work longlining jigs?

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I would rig 8 spinning reels with 6 pound mono and change them out when I wanted to pull jigs. I think 10 pound will be much too heavy for jigs less than 1/4 oz. I'm lucky to have a set of longline and a set of crankin rods and reels but have used the same rods for both several times in the past.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

We use the same rods and reels to pull jigs and cranks. They are spoiled with 10lb hi viz mono. We use 1/16 oz jigs most of the time. I'd like to use 6 lb for pullin jigs but it's just not in the budget to have seperate rods and reels for each method. I do feel like the drag from the 10 lb line causes the jigs to ride higher in the water column. I can't say if it affects our catch ratio cause I've never pulled jigs with smaller diameter line.

Post Thanks / Like

I long line with 8# works great for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 10lb braid to pull cranks and jigs with good success and less lost tackle. The smaller diameter works great when pulling cranks for the extra depth, albeit a little, that it gives. Not trolling jigs much with it because the cranking reels are bait casters and the jigs are on spinning. I don't have dedicated rods but I do switch reels. Storing the extra rods is more my issue than the expense. I still catch fish OK with whatever I drag em with.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10lb for both. Just keep a little note book on your running depths with the 10lb for long line. I like the heavier line in stump fields when long line.

Post Thanks / Like

I use spinning reels and rods 6/8' with 6# line to long line. Works great. trolling rods with line counters for all other.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Crimp on weight. God's little gift to us lazy old men.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Billbob, minnowtime LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Crimp on weight. God's little gift to us lazy old men.
    Good idea. I have to ask. Any idea how much weight to put on it to offset the 10lb line when using a 1/16 oz jig?

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tncrappiebass View Post
    Good idea. I have to ask. Any idea how much weight to put on it to offset the 10lb line when using a 1/16 oz jig?
    I use the biggest one in a bag from wal mart. One is enough for me. I usually run .8 to 1.2 mph pulling the jigs. I use my pulling poles with line counter reels. What the heck, the fish don't know it!!!
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes fiveeyes LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast