Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using very small line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using very small line

Questions about using very small fishing line.

1. Has anyone used braid? I think I saw a 6 lb test braid that is equivalent to 2 lb diameter mono. I like braid for bass fishing because it casts so limp and has no memory and is stronger for the same size line diameter.

2. Does anyone use 2 lb test line with a fluorocarbon leader? What main line and what FC leader do you like?

3. If yes to #2 above, what knot do you tie the leader on with? Some leader knots are a bear to tie!

4. I do not fish much water that is devoid of brush/stumps/live trees. Also, my water is stained and some of it very stained. Do you think that, say, 4 lb. test line would be okay to use versus 2 lb. test due to the water stain, or do you think that 2 lb. test line if too superior not to use it on very light jigs?

5. I like to see my line and favor high vis. I want to know where my line is at all times. Do you find that a necessity in low lb. test lines?

Thank you.
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Our water here is heavily tannin stained, looks like black coffee or tea. I use 4lb Trilene XL and have no problem catching fish. Dont know as though I would go down to 2lb having to work fish out of brush and pads. But I never tried it either.

Post Thanks / Like

I use braid quite often for sensitivity's sake. I have some 10lb test that is 2lb diameter and love it. I only use hi-viz colors as well and have never had any issue catching fish as long as I know where they're at to begin with. IMO the color doesn't matter that much. I also use anywhere from 10lb - 6lb mono in hi-viz yellow. Our water can range from Yoohoo stained to extremely lightly stained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by callmecamo View Post
    I use braid quite often for sensitivity's sake. I have some 10lb test that is 2lb diameter and love it. I only use hi-viz colors as well and have never had any issue catching fish as long as I know where they're at to begin with. IMO the color doesn't matter that much. I also use anywhere from 10lb - 6lb mono in hi-viz yellow. Our water can range from Yoohoo stained to extremely lightly stained.
    What brand of 10 lb braid do you have that is equivalent to 2 lb mono diameter? I like Sufix 832 Superline and their 6 lb is equivalent to 2 lb diameter but 10 instead of 6 is certainly better! Does that mean your brand 6 lb braid is invisible, lol?

EDIT: I see that Power Pro has 10 lb that is 2 lb equivalent, and they have high vis.
    Last edited by livemusic; 03-21-2016 at 09:41 AM.
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried 2lb test and it is ok however I don't think it makes a huge difference. For your type of fishing in cover and stained water, 4lb should be perfect, and it will stand up to the occasional bass or large bream.

Also, I have not been able to find 2lb in high-vis, only clear.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to use 4lb test almost exclusively ... but am currently using 6lb test. I always use hi-vis line for casting jigs. Like you, Bill ... I fish heavy cover, most of the time, and my waters range from lightly stained to murky. I've been using Vicious Panfish 6# copoly hi-vis line and like it enough to continue using it. I'm a line watcher, too !!

Yes, PowerPro Braid comes in 10/2 hi-vis ... and I do use it on one of my casting outfits. Mostly for casting Roadrunner or Whirly Bee baits, but occasionally for casting & vertical jigging with jigs. I tie direct to the baits, using a Improved Clinch knot. If the line is new or still "slick", I will tie a overhand knot in the tag end of the line & then tie the Improved Clinch ...wet it, then cinch the knot down & let it slip until the overhand knot snugs up to the Improved Clinch & stops the slipping. That knot combination won't need to be re-tied until you want to change lures or break the line ... at least not in my experiences.

And I don't particularly believe in the hype of line being "invisible to fish". Fish can see better underwater than we can, but I don't believe they give the line much notice. A streak of color going through the water is not a threat, not something they're interested in eating, and not SO out of the ordinary to them that it "scares/spooks" them ... especially when there's so much snagged or discarded line hanging from every tree branch in the lake, or strands of moss & such floating around in the water or hanging from every underwater object. IMHO the fish that are "spooked" are that way due to the presence of the boat, you, noise, your movement or shadow, or the encroachment upon them. Fish don't seem to pay much attention to that black/bronze/gold/red colored pointy thing we call a hook, sticking out of our baits ... so why would they care about a long strand of colored line

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    And I don't particularly believe in the hype of line being "invisible to fish".
    One import aspect of using the lightest line possible is lure action. Cast a 1/32oz curly tail jig on 8lb test and then do it on 2lb test and you'll see large difference. Lures have a lot more action on lighter lines.
    Likes Eagle 1, Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Chartreuse 6lb braid. Fireline has the "fused braid" that is 6lb test 2 lb diam.

If you are concerned with fish seeing the braid use a 24-36" 4-6 lb flouro leader tied to the braid with a surgeon's or blood knot. I have found that the leader is typically not necessary but since I had some extra fluoro I use it.

Post Thanks / Like

I never go lighter than 4 lb test mono .....and mostly use 6 lb mono ....
    I do use braid a bit at times and its 10 lb braid with I think a 2 lb diameter
    I use hi viz and regular mono along with a few other colors ...
    most of the time it does not seem to matter to the fish ..."most" of the time " ....
    water clarity does have some play in it for sure
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

I use 2# test almost exclusively for everything from crappie to smallmouth. I use it because I throw micro jigs and lures. I also on occasion use 1# test NanoFil...which is a braid....if I am in waters with small fish....lets me have fun even with small fish. I have also used 2# test NanoFil a lot. I have never had any problem landing dozens of Smallies in the 20 inch and over range with 2# test. Of course we are on a crappie forum and that is all I use for crappie. I cast for them and enjoy the fight a crappie gives on 2# test line. I fish around wood at times and getting hung up sometimes is just part of it. Two pound test line is for UL fishing....no matter the specie. As was mentioned if one is throwing micro jigs the 2# test gives the jig a lot more action. If you are not going to be casting micro baits no need to use 2# test. When using a leader I tie a surgeon's knot. It is very easy to tie and I have never had an issue with it.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast