Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bait Color Preference Change On Your Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait Color Preference Change On Your Lake

I know that was a long title but I could not figure out how to say it. This was a question posed in another thread. Chaunc stated "It seems to change from year to year on my home lake. But the basic color always has chartreuse on it. This year it's yellow/chartreuse on an unpainted head." I have noticed on Ky. Lake the past few years the color they like changes and was trying to dial in why this happens. I am a 2 poler so I get a lot of chances to compare baits plus I make my own heads and plastic. This year it is blue and pink which was an accident making baits. I liked the color so I tried it many times against what worked last year( white/pink) I do use UV and glow in my heads and plastic and the same line and poles. I was wandering if anyone had any thoughts why the preference changes? This is a 2.3 lb. with the current favorite bait.
    Name:  IMG_1392.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  55.1 KB
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!
    Likes chaunc, Chief79 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

wish I knew the answer to that one, happens to me every year also, never could figure that out. I always thought it had something to do with the water condition for some reason clearity maybe but seems like that really hasn't changed that much for the time of year.
    Philippians 4; 13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful fish! And a nice looking jig. I think color preference has more to do with current weather/light conditions and water clarity. And yes, it does change from week to week, at least on our waters here. Some pink and some chartreuse mixes are always good though.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

My go-to's on my three lakes are white/chart, black/chart, and orange/chart. If they aren't producing numbers or size. MY next line of defense is black/pink, yellow/chart, blue/chart or the scale head southern pros they all seem to bail me out.

Post Thanks / Like

What happened to KY Lake Green? It was the color for a long time (or maybe a long time ago).

My go-to color is black body w/ chartreuse tail. Seems to work for me.
    Likes chaunc LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Has to do will water coloration and degree of....stained, muddy, green algae, brown algae, red algae, etc, etc. that and light penetration.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a Southern Pro 2'' Umbrella tube with a 1/8 oz unpainted jig head #2 hook inside . In spring when big fish are aggressive and water muddies up or go deep I use a 2.5 '' tube in glow orange / chart or solid glow chart with a 1/4 oz jig head #1/0 hook inside . That purple/chart is a bait that I use over 90 % of the time here or where ever I fish . I am a 2 pole jig fisherman and mainly target submerged wood ( stumps , brush piles , stake beds , ect ) I like heavier jigs with bigger hooks as I seldom use a landing net either . Love that thump and when they break the surface swing then in on a 11' Ozark jig pole . Here is a few from yesterday .

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  65.3 KB
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You the man NIMROD
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Dang Nimrod, Them some big fish.
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

I fish almost like Nimrod most of the time, just don't ever use a hook bigger than a size 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast