Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rigging for Drop Shotting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rigging for Drop Shotting

Noticed Cabelas is now selling hooks specially designed for drop shotting @ $2.99 for a package of 5. They are bent so you can tie in the bend and thread the tag end down through the eye of the hook, allowing it to stand out at a right angle to the leader, barb up, with a drop shot weight attached to the tag end.

I discovered I could achieve the same effect by using a needle-nosed plier and making a right angle bend about 3/8" from the hook eye. I then tie a palomar knot to the right angle bend, wrap the tag end of the line around the shank of the hook 4 to 6 times down toward the eye and thread the tag end through the eye. This works great for me. The hook stands out at right angles to the leader with a weight attached to the tag end. It's also very easy to rig multiple hook setups. I have not noticed any difficulty hooking and landing fish using a hook rigged this way. I use this rig slow trolling with multiple rods. By the way, I use Gold Eagle Claw crappie hooks in various sizes. I haven't tried using long shank hooks, but they might work even better.

Thought this might be of some help to someone since I hadn't seen many posts on drop shotting for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a good idea due to the fact that the drop shot hooks are made for bass a tend to be a bit to big.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

SpeckChaser, I saw those hooks in Cabelas new catalog and went to Sports Academy tonight to see if they carried them but they dont. Im going to try your homemade version, thanks for the information.