Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Gas inflated PFDs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gas inflated PFDs

I have had a Cabela's brand for 2 or 3 years. Usually keep in toolbox of truck because i only use it in kayak not boat. It deployed in the toolbox in the last couple weeks sometime. Don't know when but it deflated. Anyone else have this trouble?I am in Alabama. It has been hot but not as hot as this PFD has seen over its time in my toolbox. and the fact that it was deflated concerns me too. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen it, or heard of it. It raises a LOT of questions, tho. Did humidity cause inflation? Did it get wet? Or was there something wrong with it from the start? Did it fully inflate, or only partially open/partially inflate (which would maybe explain it deflating)? Those of us who use these trust them to do what they promise, and our lives may depend on one someday. Hope if you find any answers you will follow up here and let us know.

I'm curious whether this is an automatic, or manual inflater? I think before I could trust it, I would buy a couple of cartridges and test it. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

With it stored within the tool box, did it get perforated with some tool or sharp object when it inflated??????
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

First thing, it should have a manual inflator tube. Find that and blow it up to check for leaks. Like fly aster said it could have gotten punctured when it inflated. Assuming it was automatic and if it has been real humid the combination of heat and humidity could have set it off.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I had three go off in a dry box in my boat sitting in my garage, except when I'm using the boat, in about a year and a half. On the first one, I thought I had pulled the cord while moving stuff around. After the other two inflated shortly after that, I knew what the problem was. Humidity will do it over time. The automatics are the safest but at 30.00s a recharge (for that model at BPS) I went to manual.
    Tell'em I'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the hydrostatic auto inflate, they trigger with water pressure. The dissolvable pill type will trigger with high humidity in a locker or in rain. Either type needs new air cartridge every so often (2 years I believe).

Post Thanks / Like

Don't trust it. Just buy a new one. Your life may depend on it.
    I may be getting older but I refuse to grow up.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Over time the bladder can lose the CO2 out of it. If you blow it up manually and it holds air it is probably okay. The instructions with mine said some loss of bouancy over time is normal. It even stated if you are in the water for an extended time that you may have to add air with the manual inflation tube.

Post Thanks / Like

I blew it up and t stayed inflated all day. I will rearm it and take it inside from now on I guess.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah ... you don't want to leave an armed Co2 cartridge PFD out in the weather/humidity any longer than necessary.

Had a friend leave his in his boat, in one of the storage compartments. While the PFD stayed dry in there, the humidity set it off, and the PFD busted his compartment lid (fiberglass).

Mine hangs in the fishing closet (walk-in hall closet), in my air conditioned apt, and is still armed & dangerous

... cp