Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider rigging weight question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rigging weight question.

I'm going to start spider rigging this spring if I can get it down to a good science. I'm usually a die hard long liner, but I just moved to West Texas and the sunken mesquites are terrible. I want to know what weight I should use above a swivel to keep my jigs down at the proper depths and not coming up into my trolling motor, ect. When rigging, i'll most likely use 1/8 oz jigs, but would like to use some minnows too. Any suggestions?

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I run 1/8 pony on bottom and 1/2 oz egg above swivel. Good for slow speed and down to about 12 ft. Any faster than .4 or deeper use 3/4 oz weight. Works with jigs or minnows.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Use the lightest u can get away with for the conditions. 3/8 oz up to 3/4 oz for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I never use less than 3/4. If your not catching fish you need to cover water. With heavier lead you can go at a faster speed to find the fish and still keep your lines down without them rising when you speed up. When you find them you can slow down and the weight still doesn't affect anything if your using fluorocarbon which I HIGHLY recommend.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

I like a 1/2 oz all purpose, but will also use 1/4 or 3/8th if not much wind...and if your using #3/4 split shot to hold your weight up with a 1/8th oz jig head its plenty enuff to keep you down. Good Luck.
    BATES FIELD & STREAM PRO STAFF, MAYFLOWER AR
    CRAPPIEHOLIC APPERAL PRO STAFF
    If Your Big Crappie Star Bound, Let Me Warn You It's a Long Hard Ride. CP

Post Thanks / Like

Line size will affect how fast you can go with more/less weight also.I have 6 and 10 lb hi-vis on my troll rigs.I like the 6 lb best but gonna try 20 lb braid to cut down on break-offs.

2000 ProCraft 210 SuperPro DC w/Merc 250 ProXB
    Hi-Tek rod holders

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Young Gun View Post
    I never use less than 3/4. If your not catching fish you need to cover water. With heavier lead you can go at a faster speed to find the fish and still keep your lines down without them rising when you speed up. When you find them you can slow down and the weight still doesn't affect anything if your using fluorocarbon which I HIGHLY recommend.
    I use 1oz. all the time, shallow or deep fast or slow. I think it loads the rod tip to detect bites easier, and can go to 0.9 mph

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA