Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terra nova 80 or fortex 80

Post Thanks / Like

Default Terra nova 80 or fortex 80

If going to fish for bass and crappie which would be best? I don't know anything about terra nova 80 but know that I guess you can set it to hold a spot or troll a certain area or depth?? Will it still work good running it fishing for bass or would it be slow because electric?

Post Thanks / Like

If the batteries are charged and in good condition, the terrova will react as fast as the fortex and with better control. I would not own a troller without the I-pilot feature. It takes practice to learn the foot pedal, but the Terrova is much better. The fortex will not have autopilot, ipilot or ilink capability. One of these is a must for multi-pole crappie fishing. You can set it to slowly move down a bank or ledge at the speed you want for bass fishing also. You should be on water with an experienced Terrova operator before passing it up. When I fished Crappie USA and Crappiemasters 8 out of 10 boats were using Minn Kota electric steer motors.

Post Thanks / Like

Sure wish there was one on that Xpress I just bought. :-) The Terrova 80 only comes in 45" and 60" shaft length. 45 seems like it would be to short and 60 too long. Riptide comes in 54 though. I will be getting one or the other for the new Xpress.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Funny! I guess I need to need to go out with someone that knows how to use it and see if something I could learn to use and like.

Post Thanks / Like

Monte,
    Come on down. I've got a Riptide on my old boat. It has compass based autopilot and copilot remote. I want to get one with gps based autopilot. That will be my first upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

Its not any trouble to learn. Was told I would not like it single-poling but they were wrong. Sold my PD with a co-pilot and got me a Terrova, have never had the foot pedal hooked up, only use the remote. Best tool in my boat period.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I Like my Terrova!

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

One immediate application I can think of for Bass fishing, (I mostly fish for crappie and bream now) is the auto pilot compass and cruise control. If you want to fish a long stretch of shore line with crank bait or worm or spinner, all you do is point the motor in the direciton you want to travel, select the speed you want and away you go, All you go to do is fish and if it is a productive stretch you can record the track and it will take you back over it from either direction. Also if you hook a fish and have to play him in and want to hold in that spot, just hit the spot lock and it will hold you in that spot. This is really useful is the wind is blowing and you are fighting the fish and not paying attention to boat position.
    Pretty cool huh?
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

I own a Terrova 80 54" with iPilot on my bass boat and use the iPilot remote exclusively, never used the pedal except playing around with it when I first installed the TM. I am a multispecies fisherman that fishes for crappie, walleye, bass and catfish and wouldn't own another TM. My next boat will have a Terrova with iPilot. The ONLY situation that I have ever encountered where the Terrova, or any other electric steer TM for that matter, has been a downfall is bass fishing HEAVY timber where it is nearly impossible to avoid colliding with submerged wood. The continued impacts to the TM lower unit and shaft cause a lot of stress on the transmission because there is not a spring loaded mount on these motors such as the Fortrex to absorb the impact and deflect the shaft. My bass tournament partner has a Fortrex on his Nitro Z9 that we fish out of and it is an elite cable steer TM but I won't be going back from the Terrova.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TxBigRed View Post
    Sure wish there was one on that Xpress I just bought. :-) The Terrova 80 only comes in 45" and 60" shaft length. 45 seems like it would be to short and 60 too long. Riptide comes in 54 though. I will be getting one or the other for the new Xpress.

Should be able to get it with 54 also.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast