Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Camping along I-77 an Ohio Turnpike?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Camping along I-77 an Ohio Turnpike?

Hi all of you Ohio fishermen and women. I am from North Carolina board and thought I would Inquire about fishing spots and camping spots along 77 an the Ohio turnpike. I travel to northern Michigan frequently and its a 15 hour drive for us and thought it would be nice to camp and of coarse fish along the way to break the trip down a bit. I follow 77 up through Akron and swinbg over to 90 and take that to toledo then north. Any suggestions as to where I might stop and get a campsite on a lake to do some fishing along the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks keep your bait wigglin!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here are two state parks

I fish western Ohio, and I'm sure some of the eastern members cangive you better information, but these two places maybe of interest: Portage Lakes and Salt Fork.

Portage Lakes are near Akron. Park office number I have is 330-644-2220. They have boat rental, cottages and camping. The lakes are stocked yearly with saugeye. They also have channel cats, crappie and redears.

Salt Fork is near Cambridge. The book lists a marina number, but not a park office. Marina number is 740-685-5831. They have a large number of camping sites.
    It's stocked with stripers and walleye. It also has crappie and a good LM bass population according to the fishing map guide.

Good luck and enjoy your stay in the Buckeye State. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot roberta for the info. Sounds like some good spots that I go right by. Appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Akron.
    Along I-77 there is Salt Fork in the southern portion of the state just north of Cambridge. Nice campground with electric. The largest state park in Ohio. It a real pretty place.
    Further north along I-77 off of SR250 is Tappan Dam. Big lake (by Ohio standards) with good camping grounds w/ electric. Good fishing too, mainly saugeyes.
    In Akron there is Portage Lakes but there is very limited shoreline fishing areas (too developed) and camping is at Nimisila Reservoir. It's an electric only lake and the campground is not well kept. No electric either but the bass fishing is very good. Nimisila is not developed either like the main Portage Lakes. If you don't mind the campground, the fishing is very good with tons of shoreline fishing.
    East of Cleveland along I-90 near Sandusky is East Harbor State Park on Lake Erie. Nice place with nice campgrounds.
    Here's a link to the state parks for more info.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/parks/

Post Thanks / Like

Big help Opie1. Thanks a lot. That link is great. Looks like I may find some Eyes in Ohio. I sure hope so. Thanks again fo rthe info.