Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you think?

I've been fishing for 30 yrs but consider myself a novice, especially when it comes to crappie. I was wondering, We know fish of a size school together meaning small fish hang with small fish and big with big! or at least thats what ive read. however when relating to structure and depth how do you find they go together? I mean when you gps some good structure on your gps, fish it and catch small fish there, can you expect to always catch small fish at that spot, because that structure will only hold smaller fish?
    Woman Love me, Fish fear me!

Post Thanks / Like

I have places that I fish that sometimes hold big fish, and other times I have caught several small fish there. I will say this, if I am catching alot of small fish on a spot, I usually leave that spot after just a little while of catching small fish as I do feel chances are tougher catching larger fish in the middle of a small fish school. There's an exception to every rule, but its tough to catch a big crappie with alot of hungry small ones around, but Im sure its done quite often by somebody.Just not a place I stay at. Where I fish tends to cycle as to which type crappie are present, and what the size of them are as well. I was telling a friend the other day that we just are not catching small crappie as we did there a year or so on that spot.... Also different lakes run different cycles too. My favorite lake at this time has tons of small fish in it and Ive been fishing two other lakes near by. A year or two ago they was covered up in smaller crappie. Next year will probably be good for going back to favorite lake and fishing there as by then those smaller fish have grown and the cycle is back in our favor again there.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering too if they have a home range they stay in or migrate all around a lake..
    Woman Love me, Fish fear me!

Post Thanks / Like

im learning that in the spring their range can double, but most have a home range, also the bigger dominant ones have prime spots, cover and good easy meals are key, open water fish are always near schools of baitfish, and usually on the hunt, look for baitfish, best thing todo is put your own brushpiles out in area's you've caught fish, fun stuff foresure,
    im no expert but i love reading and learning about these tasty guys, I've been fishing for 50 years, never got into crappie till I tasted one, lol Ive always been a catch an release kinda guys, Trout, albies drum salmon steelhead stripers, are all what im used to catching, and believe it or not, getting these Crappie takes alot of effort, but the rewards are mmmmm good,

I'M Albiechaser on Youtube, hope to have some vids of Crappie on soon, gotta learn more first lol
    ALBIECHASER - YouTube