Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Streamers on a Jig Hook?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Streamers on a Jig Hook?

Have any of you tied streamers on a plain jig Aberdeen or sickle hook, using bead-chain eyes or something instead of lead? I don't like the idea of working with lead.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey FB -
    The sickle hooks work just fine on bass, crappie, and goggle-eyes, though I don't see any real difference between them and a hook with a plain-vanilla bend. However, there's something about unleaded jig-hooks that doesn't feel quite right. First of all, "Why?"
    Second, the offset just might effect your ability to get a good hook-set. Don't know about that for certain, since I have never used one (And don't ever intend to!). If you have a local pond/lake whwere you can experiment, you might compare strikes to solid hook-ups with each type (jig-hooks against conventional styles) in similar flies. I'd be iterested in the results (Even though I'm pretty certain they wouldn't convert me!).
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm interested in vertical jigging, but don't want to deal with lead. I figure the 90 deg bend would be better for vertical jigging while using them on streamer patterns.

Post Thanks / Like

Uh, "vertical jigging"?
    I believe Cabela's is presently promoting a sale on Shimano Stradics. Match one of those up with a crappie rod and some hair jigs, and you should do just fine.
    Oh, it won't be fly fishing, but neither will "vertical jigging".
    Sorry if I may seem to be a cantankerous old fart, but that's the way I gained my fame.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not interested in fly-fishing. I was asking about using a 90 degree bend tied with beadchain eyes instead of using lead.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh.
    Well, then beadchain should work fairly well, but if you research a fly-tying catalog, you will find brass hourglass eyes that might make the streamer sink a little faster - use beadchain for slow-sink models and brass for deeper applictions.
    Bon chance.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, thanks. I'll look that up. I'm just paranoid about lead!