Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minnows Died Help Please

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Minnows Died Help Please

:o Regretfully You all will think I had some brews or something. A couple of weeks ago we had temps in the upper seventies. I bought 50 minnows and put the in a 48qt 5 day cooler with a spray type aerator . I added a half teaspoon of aquarium salt they lasted over a week and stayed healthy. I left the top open and ran the aerator a few minutes once in a while.
    Yesterday I got 50# more put them in a 18 qt cooler with the same aerator and a little salt. I close the top and let the aerator run. I checked this mourning 24 hours later and they were all dead
    Even though the temps were in the thirties the water in the tank was very warm. I think the problem was caused by leaving the top closed which caused the water to get to warm and reduce O2. "MY BAD" What do you think?
    I should have put a vent in the cooler even a High output aerator wont work in a air tight container right?
    Last edited by FIN; 03-22-2006 at 08:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I m not sure what caused them to die. Last Friday bought 12 doz none died. sat bought another 12 doz and at least 1/4 of them died. I dont know why. I know it doesn't help when the bait shop people handle the miners one by one. I wish they would use something like they use for crickets. If you figure anything out let us know.

Post Thanks / Like

Well What surprised me was the water in the cooler was very warm when the outside temp was in the thirties. I guess the pump heated it up. I just thought the cooler wasn't air tight and some air would get in . I closed the lid so the minnows wouldn't jump out. I know dumb!
    I'll know better next time.
    FIN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIN
    Well What surprised me was the water in the cooler was very warm when the outside temp was in the thirties. I guess the pump heated it up. I just thought the cooler wasn't air tight and some air would get in . I closed the lid so the minnows wouldn't jump out. I know dumb!
    FIN
    LOL if they "jump" out they deserve to be set free!!

Post Thanks / Like

I Had Bought A Aerator That Sit Down In The Water And It Would Produce A Lot Of Heat Like That.overnight The Water Would Be Like Bath Water.i Bought Me A Bubbler From Bass Pro That Has Two Air Stones And It Works Great

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMY4UA
    I Had Bought A Aerator That Sit Down In The Water And It Would Produce A Lot Of Heat Like That.overnight The Water Would Be Like Bath Water.i Bought Me A Bubbler From Bass Pro That Has Two Air Stones And It Works Great
    I got the same one I think. $20.00 at wmart. an air bubbler cost 10.
    FIN

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FIN
    FIN
    I've done the same thing. I use Power Bubbles from Bass pro or cabelas. It uses very little current and pump air into the water at the current air temp.
    I have used it in my boat bait well and live well with temps in the 90s and have had good luck. Overnight losses are less than other things I have tried.
    Power Bubbles does not transfer heat from the pump to the water.
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't say if you changed the water. If you didn't, then I'd suspect that ammonia killed 'em. You need to change their water at least a couple times a day.

Post Thanks / Like

If the water got cloudy that has to do with the waste, that will kill them. The water has to be changed out. If your water has chlorine you have to treat it with something that will remove it, I get mine at W-Mart. I keep a 2.5 gal. bucket in an old fridge in the garage to keep some water cold. Depending on the temp put the cold water in the cooler to keep the minnows cool, but not too much at a time. I use a large coffee can to remove some of the old water everyday then put 1 can in at a time where they won't cool off too fast. Also helps to know what the temp is, you can get a cheap thermometer at W-Mart for a couple of bucks. If it gets hoter you will have to cool the water more (twice or more). This works for me.
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

The water was cloudy some I went down to the creek and got a couple of gallons of water to add. The water that came with the minnows was treated for ammonia. I think if I had left the top cracked so fresh air could have gotten in that would have made the biggest diff the water got pretty hot from the pump. Actually they would have lived if I'd just left the pump off i think. UI have one of those bubble aerators that us 2 d Bats . Just didn't think about the pump heating the water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast