Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shed repairs

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shed repairs

I have a 9½ X 16 foot shed that needs new siding. Colonial Barns wants a fortune to fix it for me. I could do it myself if I could find the material but I need 9 foot long sheets of siding cut exactly in half and don't have any way of doing that. Anyone ever run into this problem? Or know anyone in the tidewater area that would have these materials? Or any other ideas?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, I recommend "Hardy Board" siding. You can get it at Lowes and they will probably cut it to the size you need. It is great stuff, a little more costly than other siding, but, worth the price. I put it on my last house, it's easy to install and paint.

http://hardieboard.org/
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

cutting a sheet of siding in half is not difficult, just need a circular saw ($50-75) at wally world, a tape measure, pencil and straigth edge, total of maybe $100. Get some 2x4's and put the 2x4's under the 1st sheet on top, use the stack of siding sheets as your saw horses, measure 2, maybe 3 times, then use the straight edge to mark you cut, and then cut it with the circular saw. can use the straight edge clamped to the sheet of siding to make sure its a good straight cut.

Lowes/Home depot will cut the stuff for you as well but the cuts may not be "exact/perfect" in terms of measuring, straight yes, but may be off a bit in measuring.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Problem is I need 4X9 sheets

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

4x9 ? I am assuming on the gable side the peak is 9 ft so if you used a 8' piece you'd have a 1 ft vee at the top missing, correct? Or are you saying its 8ft tall 9 ft wide.
    NWR BASH WINNER
    FEBRUARY 2011
    SPECKLE DIVISION

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the peak is 9' and the sides are 4½' foot. I would be wasting 3½' of 8 pieces of each std 4X8 sheets. That is not very cost worthy.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

They sell 9' T1-11. Call 84 Lumber on nansemond Parkway/Ports Blvd. Ask for Walt and tell him Russell told you to call him. I called Walt the other day for you and he said he could get it.
    NWR BASH WINNER
    FEBRUARY 2011
    SPECKLE DIVISION

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by undertheradar View Post
    They sell 9' T1-11. Call 84 Lumber on nansemond Parkway/Ports Blvd. Ask for Walt and tell him Russell told you to call him. I called Walt the other day for you and he said he could get it.
    Thanks a million, I really appreciate that.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va