Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default hooks

curious. what size hooks do most of you use with 1/16 oz jig heads? pros and cons of big versus small and type

Post Thanks / Like

#4 sickle is my favorite!
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

#2. I like the larger hook because of the crappies big mouth.

Post Thanks / Like

I make them with both. Sometimes a shorter hook in various situations helps out

Post Thanks / Like

#4 for me!
    An ungrateful man is like hog under a tree eating acorns, but never looking up to see where they come from!

Post Thanks / Like

#2 on everything I use.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

I tie both. Seems more people like #4 sickles on their 1/16th. Doesn't matter much to me, there's no problem fitting a #2 in there for sure and you get a deeper hookup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    #4 sickle is my favorite!
    +1
    We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."

Post Thanks / Like

+3

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by niteman View Post
    curious. what size hooks do most of you use with 1/16 oz jig heads? pros and cons of big versus small and type
    Currently using 1/16oz jigheads with #2 hooks. Still have some with #4's & don't think a thing about using them, too .. anytime ... they work fine, & I was catching fish on them before I had Grousefly make me some jigheads with the #2 hooks.

Don't know much to say about pros/cons ... I've caught 4 INCH long Crappie, handsized Bluegills, all the way up to 2.5lb Crappie on the jigheads with #2 hooks .... LOL !!

Hook type .... I mostly use Aberdeens ('cause that's what Grousefly puts in the jigheads) ... but, I do have some jigheads with the sickle hooks. I just haven't used the sickle hook jigs enough to make any experienced comment. I'm already pulling the #2 hook out of the back of the throats of the fish I catch .... so I don't know if the sickle hooks are going to get any better hookup than that. However, I do know that ... considering where I throw my jigs ... if the sickle hook jig isn't "weedless", it's going to be a decoration on a submerged tree, real soon.

... cp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast