Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Twain and a Length Limit

Post Thanks / Like

Default Twain and a Length Limit

Talked to the Man. We seem to have a population of Gizzard Shad, compared to Thin Fin Shad. Gizzard's grow much faster in Twain because of the Plankton. So they get to large for the crappie to eat, quick. Crappie in Twain grow about 2 inches a years, compared to 3 inches at other lakes. So we can have great hatches but alot of fish will die off, do to nothing to eat. MDC is working close with COE to control water shed during the spawn's. Blaming the COE on water drop is kindda wrong too. Crappie egg's hatch in 3 to 5 days, depending where there laid depends on there survival. Shad tend to lay there egg's more shallow, so a foot drop could mean alot more. So in the end. If you catch a 14 inch crappie on Twain, the fish is prolly 5, 6, or 7 years old. Sent's there no protein or fat in jig's, I'm back to full time minnow fish'n. So give us dipper's and cork knocker's a break, the next 2 pounder you catch, we may have helped hand fed him or her for you. LOL. Good Luck To All.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting......... I was under the impression that gizzard shad is what we wanted, or am I wrong in that thought process. That's what the more southern lakes have as well, correct? Or is the discerning factor the amount of plankton in Twain compared to other lakes, which makes the shad grow quicker.....?

I simply cannot believe there is a lack of edible baitfish in Twain right now....I didn't see any that would be considered "too large" to be consumed by even a 4" crappie. Not to mention the amount of 6 - 7" crappie that engulfed my jig over the weekend....... they aren't scared of something half their size!

Post Thanks / Like

Well whatever they are I saw tons of them today. Lake is up 3' plus and rising fast. 4-6"
    rain in area over nite and 8" in some places. Please don't ask for report, you wouldn't like it. Some had a few small ones. Me 0. Have to figure what they are doing all over now. COE says up another 6', to 627.5 by Thursday.
    Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie can eat a mighty big minnow. 4 inches is not too big for say a 10 crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieBen View Post
    Well whatever they are I saw tons of them today. Lake is up 3' plus and rising fast. 4-6"
    rain in area over nite and 8" in some places. Please don't ask for report, you wouldn't like it. Some had a few small ones. Me 0. Have to figure what they are doing all over now. COE says up another 6', to 627.5 by Thursday.
    Ben
    Did the water get muddy? It has been as clear as I have ever seen it.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty strange, could see down 2' in stained water, and right next to that was clear water. Am sure it will be mixed in day or 2. More stained than muddy if that makes sense. Everyone is talking about the shad fry, they are everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket rich View Post
    Crappie can eat a mighty big minnow. 4 inches is not too big for say a 10 crappie
    I know when trolling cranks 10-12" will try to take 3-4" cranks. I like because don't catch dinks, not a lot of bigs but no dinks.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now the fish are gorging themselves on the shad, because there small. Later they'll be to large for them to eat. I read the Threadfin shad can't stand tempertures when it starts to hit 45 degrees, an at 35 they start to die off. Maybe the reason southern lakes have better growth and larger fish. The Man said a Mississippi crappie will grow to 12 inches in 3 years. We had a good Shad hatch this year. Ya think ya see um now, wait til a little later, they'll light up the hole lake with there flickering.