Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smithville 9/6 and 9/7

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville 9/6 and 9/7

I’ve seen a report today that someone did well above the W Bridge. Glad to hear someone was catching them crappie. I took the week off to hit the lake hard and try to figure out what the fish were doing. Unfortunately, I had a death in the family. My grandmother passed away last Tuesday at the age of 94. So I was busy this week helping my father and uncle with the arrangements.

I was able to get a couple of days on the water toward the end of the week. Sunday started out cold. I hit the lake around 8am after the fog lifted. The day was kind of windy and the water was in the lower 70’s. Monday I hit the lake at 7am. Water was still in the lower 70’s. The fog was thick that day. I don’t think I could see more than about 200’. I was standing on the boat launch closest to the boat slips at the Little Platte and could barely make out the slips. When I set out, I had to idle all the way to my spot to hear for other boat traffic and watch the shore line to tell where I was. I’ve got to admit, that’s the last time I go out in fog that thick.

Now on to the reports:

Area 1: I fished this spot on Sunday. There is a large brush pile in about 20’ of water. Word to the wise, don’t let your jig fall below 15’ feet or you’re going to get hung up. I didn’t catch many fish here, but the keepers that I did get were fat and were whites. I was surprised that the water was clear, up to two feet. I was sure being so close to the dam, it would be a lot worse.

Area 2: I fished this spot Sunday too. This brush pile is a giant. It’s set in about 25’ of water. I didn’t catch anything at this spot. Did get a couple of hits. I’ve done very well at this spot in the past. I’ve run into guys that swear by this pile for the winter crappie. I’ve got it marked and will definitely try it again.

Area 3: I fished this spot Monday. Water was about 2’ clear. There are three piles, what I can figure out. They are in about 18-20’ of water and smack dab in the middle of cove north of the boat slips at Camp Branch.. I caught a lot of small blacks, but no keepers. I noticed all the anglers staring as they pulled out. I’m not sure if anyone knows these piles are here or not.

Area 4: Fished this spot Monday too. Water was as clear as Area 3. There are two piles in about 15’ of water and the tops are around 8’ or so off the bottom; lost a lot of jigs finding that out. This was the best spot from both days. The fish were not large here, but there were around 10” and fat. I had a couple with their grandkids come by and wanted to know what I was catching and how. I buoy marked both piles and told them they could fish the one and I’d take the other. Took them a bit to figure out how to get them to hit, but when they figured it out, they were pulling them in.

Area 5, 6, 7, and 8: I fished this part of the lake on Sunday and it was a bust. This area is about 2 miles north of the boat launch at Camp Branch. Wasted the majority of my day trolling this area. Water was dingy and less than a foot of visibility. For you guys that like to catch those green carp (bass). I did see a lot of anglers hitting Area 6 close to shore.

Area 9 and 10: Hit these areas on Monday. Water was dingy and about a foot of visibility. There were a lot of anglers north of the W Bridge. But, I didn’t do well here at all. I asked the guys that I passed how they were doing and they all were having a tough time.

I think I’m going to try fishing above the free boat launch next week. I’ve never been up that part of the lake. Anyone have any advice on how not to break my prop or tear my lower unit off, I’d appreciate hearing from you. Hope to hear how the rest of you guys did.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by APKape; 09-08-2009 at 06:28 PM.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

Alex, you should have your own fishing radio or tv show. Your reports are always in depth and all useful information. They are a pleasure to read.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report Alex. Dave
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

ABOVE the free ramp? That's jon boat country. And Jon Nay (Cook) country. I've been all the way to the park on 116 but that was when they were holding the lake high. There's an area about a mile or so BELOW the free ramp that is popular... and holds some sizable crappie. There's a long creek channel (looks like the main channel at first) that goes too the right (if you're headed upstream from W)... Think there are some overhead power lines... Usually several boats tied up fishing. Not the best directions, I know... Just stay in the boat if you hear banjo music

By the way...the "W" bridge over the owl creek arm (area 7) is my "go to" area when I don't want to get skunked. Can always get something by dropping a minnow down the bridge pilings. No big ones but an occasional keeper.
    Last edited by ShortStorie; 09-08-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would start at the mouth of Twin coves and work my way down to three fingers cove should be some good areas to fish in there for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Alex, you should have your own fishing radio or tv show. Your reports are always in depth and all useful information. They are a pleasure to read.
    Jack, thanks for the encouragement. I couldn’t think of a better job to have than talking about crappie fishing. The people at work are getting tired of hearing about it though.
    Last edited by APKape; 09-09-2009 at 07:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

when you can see only 2ft. deep at stockton or tablerock we called that stained! there's been many a times you could see 5 to 10ft. deep and a few times up to 15ft. deep in the winter. Good luck next week!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie hazard View Post
    when you can see only 2ft. deep at stockton or tablerock we called that stained! there's been many a times you could see 5 to 10ft. deep and a few times up to 15ft. deep in the winter. Good luck next week!
    I've heard Table was real clear and deep. I've never been down to the lake in years. I hear it's a tough lake for crappie.