Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: long rod question---reel question

Post Thanks / Like

Default long rod question---reel question

i have a couple of 8.5 fish eagle steelhead rods (light action) that i want to use for crappie. i will be casting from shore for the most part, and reaching into brush. i have read about wally marshall rods and b and n rods, and was wondering if the rods i have would fit the bill.

i use shimano symetres for both walleye and smallmouth fishing, but was thinking about getting a couple of shimano sedonas to use as crappie reels.

any thoughts on these questions? appreciate the help.
    Last edited by rapman1; 08-26-2009 at 09:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rapman1 View Post
    i have a couple of 8.5 fish eagle steelhead rods (light action) that i want to use for crappie. i will be casting from shore for the most part, and reaching into brush. i have read about wally marshall rods and b and n rods, and was wondering if the rods i have would fit the bill.

They will definitely fit the bill. The Fish Eagles are great rods, much better than any WM or BnM I've seen. I have the medium light version of that rod, and it works great for trout and light bass fishing. Your light version will be perfect for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks d....looks like i am headed in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see why you would need to change reels, maybe just the line size? I don't know the rod, but feel if deathb4disco says that I would think he is right.

Reel is mostly for the same thing and if you like what you have I wouldn't change the reels. I mostly use Shimano and have a good many Stradics and Sustains, but they are not necessary, but since I had them for bass fishing before I changed over to full time crappie I just keep using them and if I get a new reel I stick what what I like.

Also if you start fishing standing timber they (your rods) are great size for that as well.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

skip, right now i have no reels on these rods. figured a graphite-framed reel would be okay for crappies and even gills. up to this point, i haven't fished specifically for slabs, but i am going in that direction. (fishing is my only remaining vice and half the fun is getting a new toy or two...lol). thanks for the help....rap

Post Thanks / Like

Hello folks,

I am new to this forum but not new anywhere else (70 years old). Anyway, I am beginning to think that we are not talking about the same fish when we speak of crappie. We would never dream of crappie fishing with a steelhead rig. How big are your crappies, our state record is only 3 lbs 9 oz and 17.5 inches. Our steelhead record is over 30 lbs and 44 inches, a little difference in size. I fish with a 7 ft Ugly Stick in the lightest action that I can find which is a Micro-Lite. I use 4 lb line on a Symetre reel, jigs only, no live bait permitted in Idaho or Oregon.

The bite is sometimes so light that it cannot be felt, only seen. The line moves or rod tip bends ever so slightly is the only clue. A heavy rod does not allow that action to be seen. Crappie are not considered game fish in a state with a fixation on trout so there is no limit. My best day was 245, rather busy but fun.

Thanks
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

hello jb. the rods that i am talking about are light action rods, a notch above ultra-lights. these rods are used with 4-8 lb. test line. on the steelhead tribs of ohio and pa, lots of guys use these rods, up to 12 feet again with very light lines. steelhead up to 15 pounds can be handled with 4 lb. test and these rods. lots of us call them noodle rods. just so you know, our streams are a lot smaller than yours, so casting distances isn't critical.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

JB, if you cant feel the bite, you need to get a better quality rod. Uglystix are durable but not nearly as sensitive as a lot of crappie rods on the market. Sure they catch fish and are in-expensive, but try a wally marshall or b&m 7ft rod and you'll definately feel the diffrence. Believe me, dont knock em til you try them. I only use my uglystix now for deepwater perch fishing or trolling.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBledsoe View Post
    Hello folks,

I am new to this forum but not new anywhere else (70 years old). Anyway, I am beginning to think that we are not talking about the same fish when we speak of crappie. We would never dream of crappie fishing with a steelhead rig. How big are your crappies, our state record is only 3 lbs 9 oz and 17.5 inches. Our steelhead record is over 30 lbs and 44 inches, a little difference in size. I fish with a 7 ft Ugly Stick in the lightest action that I can find which is a Micro-Lite. I use 4 lb line on a Symetre reel, jigs only, no live bait permitted in Idaho or Oregon.

The bite is sometimes so light that it cannot be felt, only seen. The line moves or rod tip bends ever so slightly is the only clue. A heavy rod does not allow that action to be seen. Crappie are not considered game fish in a state with a fixation on trout so there is no limit. My best day was 245, rather busy but fun.

Thanks
    Jim
    Hey JBledsoe,

You are welcome here

Old Ship says hello.

I am glad that you cast a line to this forum and I also extend a welcome you on behalf of all the members. Welcome from Alabama. "Shipahoy and I'll see you on the water."
    fishin4crappie tips, CD's and jigs - Home

I have B 'n' M Russ Bailey rods as well as Ugly Sticks. Those are the only two brands I buy. All have Shimano reels on them with #4 pound line. The most sensitive is the 10.5 foot B 'n' M rod. The most versatile for all around fiiiishing for other species are my Ungly Sticks.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

rapman, I too use shimano reels on a lot of my rods with very good service from them. The reels you mentioned are quite a bit up the ladder from what I use. If you have to buy reels for your new rods it's not necessary to spend that kind of money unless you just want to. I have 5 Slade model Shimano 1000 and 2000 series that are over 6 yrs old, some were used when I bought them. I've caught redfish and other gamey saltwater fish on them. Price range from $12 to $25, and they have a bearing or two. For what we do with them, they're little more than a line holder, but these have a good drag system. Lately I've bought 3 Mitchell Avocet reels in the UL and 1000 size, with 4 bearings, and they are in the same price range. Just some info from the cheap seats. Tight lines.....
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast