Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smithville help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smithville help

I am planning on making a trip to Smithville on Sunday for a morning crappie trip. I have only been to the lake once ( 7 years ago). Could someone give me an idea of where to start looking for the crappie on the lake. Is there a place I can put my boat in at 5:30am?????

Any help would be great!!

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

If ya put in at the WW bridge early,,,they will be nobody there to collect fees and you'll not be charged. Pretty cool!!! Huh? The Trimble area there can be some GREAT fishing. You'll find there will be boats under the bridge catching small ones. Good Luck!! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the help. I am coming from S. KC....What is the best way to the WW boat ramp for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Just drive thru the town on 169 and you'll come to W, turn right. Parking and ramp is right at the bridge. <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Close to the "W" ramp... Go south (Under the "W" bridge) to the 2nd sizable cove on your left (E side of the lake)... Cove is over 20' in the channel AND there is a submerged dam that comes to within 15' of the surface... Watch your graph. Fish the drop off or the timber along side. (If there are sailboats moored, you've gone one cove too far!). You can get a contour map and some advice from the guy who writes the fishing report for the lake at Burton's Bait and tackle (In the strip mall at the bottom of the hill on 169...right side of the road)... Next to the liquor store.

Like Crappie Chatt said, the Trimble area (Go left from "W" launch)... toward the "open" area on the east side of the lake (watch for submerged timber)... More submerged ponds... Usually someone fishing the dams...

When I've asked, I've been told that the fish are scattered, 1 or 2 to a tree, 8-12' down in 12-20' of water... I say "I've been told" because I found a few there but also a few in shallower water where shad were schooling.

Let me know how you do... I'm getting my boat back from $mithville Marine Tuesday and plan to test it and the Crappie

P.S. Get the map.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a fair map (no contours but shows the ramp... and the cove I mentioned)
    http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/smithv...ville_home.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShortStorie
    Close to the "W" ramp... Go south (Under the "W" bridge) to the 2nd sizable cove on your left (E side of the lake)... Cove is over 20' in the channel AND there is a submerged dam that comes to within 15' of the surface... Watch your graph. Fish the drop off or the timber along side. (If there are sailboats moored, you've gone one cove too far!). You can get a contour map and some advice from the guy who writes the fishing report for the lake at Burton's Bait and tackle (In the strip mall at the bottom of the hill on 169...right side of the road)... Next to the liquor store.

Like Crappie Chatt said, the Trimble area (Go left from "W" launch)... toward the "open" area on the east side of the lake (watch for submerged timber)... More submerged ponds... Usually someone fishing the dams...

When I've asked, I've been told that the fish are scattered, 1 or 2 to a tree, 8-12' down in 12-20' of water... I say "I've been told" because I found a few there but also a few in shallower water where shad were schooling.

Let me know how you do... I'm getting my boat back from $mithville Marine Tuesday and plan to test it and the Crappie

P.S. Get the map.

Mark
    Is that Shady Hollow Cove you are talking about?
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

That's right, Crappiehead. I was trying to think of the name of the cove (Formerly the name of the now submerged lake)... but my lake map is in my boat... in the shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dwiebenga... How'd ya do? Lake looked beautiful when I drove by this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to Shady Hollow Cove and caught 4 keepers in about an hour (6:45am-7:45am). All on the outside trees near the first point. Then, I kept getting small dinks. Overall, I ended up with 7 keepers. 4 from Shady and 3 from Timber Lake area on the left side. I caught them from 10-25 feet deep in the timber. I used mostly minnows, but caught one on a pepper spoon (chrome) and had a few other bites on it. I plan to go again on Sunday. I need to learn the lake and find those 12-14 inchers that I saw in the spring.

Any help on the white bass? i love catching those guys too. I am an equal opportunity fisherman.

I hope this helps.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast