SLABSAUCE Fish Attractant |
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: My latest fly rod catches

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Broken Arrow
    Posts
    405
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    They have one called a crappie candy. I have a couple of those that I have tied and they work well. Closure minnows and smaller streamers also do the trick.
    I've heard of the crappie candy. It looks awesome!! Once I get some fishing money in the budget I'm going to pick up some Clousers and maybe a wooly bugger or two.

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app




  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    15,283
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wooly buggers and streamers are very easy to tie. If I were you I would look up a video and tie those by myself. Materials are few and versatile so you will use them on other ties. A wooly bugger is a crappie jig on a long shank hook with a hackle feather wrapped around it, very simple. Sweetens the deal when you get a good fish on something you tied, especially in the early going’s.
    We are all just passing by,
    And occupy our chair for but a short while
    Those we get to sit with are Gods gift

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Broken Arrow
    Posts
    405
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Wooly buggers and streamers are very easy to tie. If I were you I would look up a video and tie those by myself. Materials are few and versatile so you will use them on other ties. A wooly bugger is a crappie jig on a long shank hook with a hackle feather wrapped around it, very simple. Sweetens the deal when you get a good fish on something you tied, especially in the early going’s.
    I've never tied a fly and dont have any equipment to tie. So would be an investment just to get a vice and bobbin holder and all that stuff. Plus I have no idea how to even begin to tie a fly or jig!!

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app




  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In a Sharknado, fighting off sharks
    Posts
    7,760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BAFishBarn View Post
    I've never tied a fly and dont have any equipment to tie. So would be an investment just to get a vice and bobbin holder and all that stuff. Plus I have no idea how to even begin to tie a fly or jig!!
    Buy a few different streamer patterns and see what works for you. Later, if you want, tie your own.
    Future moderator of the I Survived A Sharknado" forum

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Broken Arrow
    Posts
    405
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Buy a few different streamer patterns and see what works for you. Later, if you want, tie your own.
    That's the plan. Probably buy 2 clouser minnows and 2 woolly buggers in different colors and see how they do.

    I learned the importance of having a tippet today. After retying multiple flies my leader is getting short. So first thing is get a small spool of tippet.

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app




  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In a Sharknado, fighting off sharks
    Posts
    7,760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BAFishBarn View Post
    I learned the importance of having a tippet today. After retying multiple flies my leader is getting short. So first thing is get a small spool of tippet.
    To make your leader last, use the loop-to-loop method.



    You can use any loop knot, but the standard one used in fly fishing is the perfection loop. There are about a thousand "how to tie perfection loop" videos on Youtube.
    Future moderator of the I Survived A Sharknado" forum

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Broken Arrow
    Posts
    405
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I used the perfection loop to attach my leader to my fly line. I'll watch the video and see what I need to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    To make your leader last, use the loop-to-loop method.



    You can use any loop knot, but the standard one used in fly fishing is the perfection loop. There are about a thousand "how to tie perfection loop" videos on Youtube.
    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app




  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In a Sharknado, fighting off sharks
    Posts
    7,760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BAFishBarn View Post
    I used the perfection loop to attach my leader to my fly line. I'll watch the video and see what I need to do.
    It's using the same loop to attach tippet to leader. It will greatly increase the life of your leader.
    Future moderator of the I Survived A Sharknado" forum

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Broken Arrow
    Posts
    405
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    It's using the same loop to attach tippet to leader. It will greatly increase the life of your leader.
    Just watched it and that makes so much sense!!! I like that you can pre tie flies to tippets and do a quick change without using any leader up. Such a good idea and saves your leader from becoming shorter! Even if you tied a tippet eventually after re tying flies the tippet will need to be replaced and that uses leader. Great info

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app




  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In a Sharknado, fighting off sharks
    Posts
    7,760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Glad you liked.
    Future moderator of the I Survived A Sharknado" forum

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP