SLABSAUCE Fish Attractant |
Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Inflatable Life Jacket law

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Millington,Tennessee
    Posts
    441
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Inflatable Life Jacket law

    I have been told by many folks inflatable life jackets must be worn at all times when a person is in a boat whether it's under way or not. I've searched and the only thing I've found is it must be worn while the boat is under way. Which is correct?
    I may be getting older but I refuse to grow up.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wateloo,South Carolina
    Posts
    5,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spindle View Post
    I have been told by many folks inflatable life jackets must be worn at all times when a person is in a boat whether it's under way or not. I've searched and the only thing I've found is it must be worn while the boat is under way. Which is correct?
    my way of looking at it , is like this ;
    say if you ain't wearing it while the boat is not under way and fall out the boat ,what good is it ????

    now if you was wearing it and fell out the boat , it would inflate and do its job !!! my

    "What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"
    Likes bflowers, broharrell, trypman1 LIKED above post

  3. #3
    "G"'s Avatar
    "G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Belden, MS
    Posts
    83,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The law reads that a inflatable does not count unless you have it on....now then....that's why I keep a regular life jacket onboard for every one on the boat. That way we can take our inflatables off when we are not under way with big motor.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bartlett, TN
    Posts
    5,126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just keep my auto vest on.

  5. #5
    stormcloud's Avatar
    stormcloud is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    arkansas
    Posts
    2,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    The law reads that a inflatable does not count unless you have it on....now then....that's why I keep a regular life jacket onboard for every one on the boat. That way we can take our inflatables off when we are not under way with big motor.
    Yes but the boat has to be 16 ft and over. Boats under 16 ft, they have to be worn at all times when on the water. I'm talking Corp's lakes.
    Tell'em I'll be there.
    Likes "G", trypman1 LIKED above post

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    28,953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stormcloud View Post
    Yes but the boat has to be 16 ft and over. Boats under 16 ft, they have to be worn at all times when on the water. I'm talking Corp's lakes.
    Yep, I haven't fished in a boat under 16 foot in so long I can't even remember when it was.
    Mississippi law says if not worn does not count, must have a regular life vest on board for each person if they are not wearing an inflatable.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    3,919
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have to say I’m impressed with the pro active stance and life jacket program Mississippi takes. Hats off to em.
    Likes trypman1, Jwater LIKED above post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bartlett, TN
    Posts
    5,126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you are by yourself, It Is very important.Keep them on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Likes crp4570, Jwater LIKED above post

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    19,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mines so comfortable, I only take it off when I get back in the truck.


    Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Cleveland, MS
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rees Guide View Post
    Yep, I haven't fished in a boat under 16 foot in so long I can't even remember when it was.
    Mississippi law says if not worn does not count, must have a regular life vest on board for each person if they are not wearing an inflatable.
    Okay, this got my curiosity up particularly since I have 3 inflatables in my boat and this is what I am finding. Miss. Code 59-21-81 says you have to have a coast guard approved vest on board for each person. 12 and under has to be a Type I,II, or III and has to be wore when the boat is moving. Over 12, any type CG approved meets state law. According to Coast Guard classifications, Type V inflatables (I have two of these in my boat) only count for carriage compliance if worn. There are however Type II and III inflatables (I have one Type II in my boat) and the way I read the regulations they would count for carriage compliance even if not worn as CG regs don't mention that they have to be worn to count, like it does on the Type V. After going through this exercise, I better go put at least two Type II vest in my boat so I can comply with the carriage requirement in case we take those Type V inflatables off.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP