SLABSAUCE Fish Attractant |
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: It happens to most of us

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Mo. Barry Co.
    Posts
    17,468
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default It happens to most of us

    Brought the boat home yesterday, wanted to clean and grease up everything, pulled in the driveway and heard a odd sound, humm never heard that sound before. like I said It happens to most of us one time or another. check em often Name:  IMG_0602.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  58.9 KB
    Likes Skippa Chippa, Redge LIKED above post

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Scottsboro Al
    Posts
    4,440
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Glad you was in the drive way not out on the road somewhere !

  3. #3
    dfar is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Grandview,MO
    Posts
    3,813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    Brought the boat home yesterday, wanted to clean and grease up everything, pulled in the driveway and heard a odd sound, humm never heard that sound before. like I said It happens to most of us one time or another. check em often Name:  IMG_0602.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  58.9 KB
    Ouch! That looks like it has not had a date with a grease gun in years



    Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes Bigby, Clownfish LIKED above post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Windsor M.O
    Posts
    2,250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Had my first one like that last year, pulled in the driveway and smelled something hot. lol Jacked the boat up and pulled the wheel right off, ate my axle up a little between where the bearings ride but it was still good. Makes you keep an eye on your wheels after something like that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Mo. Barry Co.
    Posts
    17,468
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dfar View Post
    Ouch! That looks like it has not had a date with a grease gun in years



    Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    funny thing I grease it every 6 months or so, just don't understand why it did this and looks like this.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    14,871
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wow, Iím glad you were at the house when it happened!
    Good reminder.


    Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app



    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lake St Louis Mo
    Posts
    4,423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So did you cut the bearing section off to see if the axle is still good?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,082
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Everything can degrade quickly once a problem develops with a bearing Sometimes brought on by a bad seal....sometimes not.

    The best thing you can do is occasionally when your using your trailer. Occasionally feel the hubs for heat. Always feel them at the end of a trip. If you feel any heat much above about 10 degrees above the air temp beware.

    If you feel any difference between them be sure and check things.

    I take care of thousands of bearings on Pumps and Air Handling equipment and all kinds of machinery. Along with my boats. You can't always predict bearing failure.

    But the number one check I do besides listening...is I shoot everything with a temp gun. HEAT is the first indication. There is friction somewhere there should not be.
    Likes beagle man LIKED above post

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Peculiar, MO
    Posts
    1,208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My new trailer has Vault hubs. Guaranteed for 5 years, no greasing, no zerk fittings. Hope they live up to that claim.

    Probably a failed seal Mike. Lets water in, does bad things.
    I'll smoke just about anything (in my smoker)
    The fishing is always great. The catching varies.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Peculiar, MO
    Posts
    1,208
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doggone View Post
    Everything can degrade quickly once a problem develops with a bearing Sometimes brought on by a bad seal....sometimes not.

    The best thing you can do is occasionally when your using your trailer. Occasionally feel the hubs for heat. Always feel them at the end of a trip. If you feel any heat much above about 10 degrees above the air temp beware.

    If you feel any difference between them be sure and check things.

    I take care of thousands of bearings on Pumps and Air Handling equipment and all kinds of machinery. Along with my boats. You can't always predict bearing failure.

    But the number one check I do besides listening...is I shoot everything with a temp gun. HEAT is the first indication. There is friction somewhere there should not be.
    Infrared tells the story. Used a FLIR infrared camera a lot troubleshooting locomotive systems. Only problem.... the camera cost $28000.
    I'll smoke just about anything (in my smoker)
    The fishing is always great. The catching varies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP