SLABSAUCE Fish Attractant |
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: First time visitor!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ionia county michigan
    Posts
    1,991
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Check the trout regulations CLOSELY. Not sure about the Boardman but the Manistee used to have different rules depending on where you were on the river. Some sections are flies only, I don't think you can even have live bait with you. I think that most of the funky rules were for farther upstream, up in the M-66/ M-72 area. Not sure about down in the Mesick area.
    Old fishermen don't die, they just smell that way.
    Proud member of Michigan chapter "Team Overalls"
    Berkley rods. Outfishing customs 2-1 since 2018

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alcoa, Tennessee
    Posts
    5,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    Shoot me a PM. Just as a reminder to type something up. I am out for the day and the information I am about to blow you up with cannot be done on my phone. I'll post all of the information in this thread. The PM would be the reminder for me to do so in the morning!
    Done! Thank you!
    80% of fish are in the 20% of water that I donít fish.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alcoa, Tennessee
    Posts
    5,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spartannation View Post
    Check the trout regulations CLOSELY. Not sure about the Boardman but the Manistee used to have different rules depending on where you were on the river. Some sections are flies only, I don't think you can even have live bait with you. I think that most of the funky rules were for farther upstream, up in the M-66/ M-72 area. Not sure about down in the Mesick area.
    Thanks for the heads up! I want to use the fly rod, even though I suck at it! Fly fishing is my new challenge that I have been working on for three years!
    80% of fish are in the 20% of water that I donít fish.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Leslie
    Posts
    3,912
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The areas I am about to disclose do not have any specific gear restrictions. The only thing you really want to check in the trout regulations is the size restrictions. Years ago, Michigan started catagorizing different streams resulting in different size restrictions for different areas. If memory serves me (and don't quote me) 10 inches was the minimum in the areas I am about to give you. Walleye is 15 inches. Pike is 24 inches. Bass are 14 inches. These stretches also can be fished on a fly, either wet or dry fly. I've done my fair share of it.

    I am about to give you the keys to the castle when it comes to select areas and fishing baits. I’ve spent hundreds of hours on this body of water and caught thousands of fish. Yes, other baits do work to catch fish here but, my top 4 spinner selections are all I carry anymore.

    I use Panther Marin size 4 blade spinners in 4 varieties. Two of them have silver blades and two of them have gold blades. Blade color depends on the day. Some days it is gold, some days it is silver. For silver there are two variants. Silver blade with a yellow body and silver blade with an all silver body. Gold also has two variants. Gold blade with a gold body and gold blade with a black body. I have caught tons of fish on other colors but this size and these colors have been the best.

    Name:  black gold PM.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  18.4 KB
    Name:  all silver PM.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  18.7 KB
    Name:  Gold gold PM.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  21.5 KB
    Name:  Yellow silver PM.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  14.0 KB

    Additionally, floating Rapalas in size number 5 work very well for browns, rainbows, and the walleye that reside in these sections. Three or four colors fit the bill. All of them are the original standard colors. Black back and silver belly, black back and gold belly, blue back and silver belly, and firetiger.

    There is a ton of water to cover below Hodenpyle dam. I am only showing a brief bit of it but the other side of the river can be a better producer but it would be tough to guide you to the locations. I would suggest (if you have time) getting in touch with the local canoe livery located in Sherman. Setup a trip from the Dam down to Red Bridge. Normal float times is around 4 to 5 hours but you might want to take longer as this is the best stretch on the river. Big brown trout, great rainbows in the lower stretches, some killer brook trout in areas, and some nice walleyes. Fishing the fast water throughout the chain along with areas where streams flush in can be exceptional. I’ve had trips where my partner and I have boated well over 400 trout.

    The lower stretches are much slower water and hold some gigantic Pike and Small Mouth Bass.

    If driving to different spots in on the list, I suggest fishing the lower (dam) stretch after 6pm. Wait until the sun is starting to sink below the trees in certain areas and shade is on the water. Sometimes you can find it at 4pm in some areas.

    Driving South on M37 you will come in to the town of Sherman. Not much of a town anymore. Turn left (east) on to West 14 mile rd and continue to North 19 Mile road (turn LEFT). You will go until you hit Harvey Bridge.
    Name:  Harvey Bridge Directions.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  13.9 KB

    Although you can fish the stretches up river, I suggest walking along the bank until you come to Adams creek. It dumps in to the river. Fish the section from where the creek dumps in. I’ve caught my biggest dam locked Brown in this area and also caught some decent Walleye. Rapala baits above work best in this slower moving water.
    Name:  Harvey Bridge TOPO.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  91.8 KB

    Cross Adams Creek and move up until you are at the face of a giant sand hill. This is faster moving water. Fish this water up to the bend. Panther Martins work best in the faster water HOWEVER, you can stand at the upper end and cast up stream with Rapalas. There used to be a log sticking up years ago and a partner and I limited out on walleyes in 15 minutes in this area one night. You can see the areas on the map above.

    Driving South on M37 you will hit the town of Mesick. There is now a roundabout where M37 hits M115 (stupid area). Turn right on to M115 and go through the town of Mesick. Wave at my old school as you pass by! You will go over the river and hit Hodenpyle dam road. Turn LEFT
    Name:  Dam Directions 1.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  15.7 KB

    Continue on this road past Northern Exposure campground. Eventually, the road turns in to BEERS road. There might be signs for the dam but turn LEFT on to Hodenpyle dam road. It will take you all the way to the dam. Take note of UPPER RIVER RD as you go by. Keep in mind that many of these roads are gravel!
    Name:  Dam Directions 2.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  30.5 KB

    The below map is an area I fish below the dam. You can walk down the stairs at the canoe livery area. Fish as close to the dam as you can get all the way down until you cannot walk (if you choose). The fast water area holds tons of trout and the deeper holes hold walleye. Trout love the Panther Martins and the walleye go for the rapalas. The other side is better for walleye after dark.
    Name:  Dam Fishing.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  84.4 KB

    If you drive down UPPER RIVER RD you will come to the suspension bridge over the river. Fish the below stretch with Panther Martins.
    Name:  Suspension Bridge fishing.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  73.1 KB

    Continue down upper river rd and you will hit woodcock creek (there is a sign and a parking area). Fish the red areas.
    Name:  Woodcock creek fishing.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  58.4 KB

    Continue down further and you will hit some parking areas along the river. Fish these red stretches of fast water
    Name:  Makeshift boat launch fishing.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  115.3 KB

    Further down you will come to BUDDINGTON Creek. There might not be signage but there is some private property along the river with a couple of trailers. Park in the parking areas and fish the stretches indicated.
    Name:  Budington Creek fishing.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  114.8 KB

    Further down you will come to a little road that goes LEFT. It will go along the power line for a couple hundred yards and stop at the base of a hill leading to the river. Walk the foot path down to the river and fish the areas indicated below.
    Name:  Powerline Fishing.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  92.9 KB

    There are several stretches along this road all the way that can be fished. You are looking for fast water. Panther Martins are your best choice in these areas to catch Trout.

    Again, if you have the time, take a canoe trip. The cost is cheap and you get to fish the entire river section and all the best spots.

    Hope this helps you out.

    Rich
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes kycreek, Just Steve LIKED above post
    Thanks ET Fish thanked you for this post

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alcoa, Tennessee
    Posts
    5,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    The areas I am about to disclose do not have any specific gear restrictions. The only thing you really want to check in the trout regulations is the size restrictions. Years ago, Michigan started catagorizing different streams resulting in different size restrictions for different areas. If memory serves me (and don't quote me) 10 inches was the minimum in the areas I am about to give you. Walleye is 15 inches. Pike is 24 inches. Bass are 14 inches. These stretches also can be fished on a fly, either wet or dry fly. I've done my fair share of it.

    I am about to give you the keys to the castle when it comes to select areas and fishing baits. I’ve spent hundreds of hours on this body of water and caught thousands of fish. Yes, other baits do work to catch fish here but, my top 4 spinner selections are all I carry anymore.

    I use Panther Marin size 4 blade spinners in 4 varieties. Two of them have silver blades and two of them have gold blades. Blade color depends on the day. Some days it is gold, some days it is silver. For silver there are two variants. Silver blade with a yellow body and silver blade with an all silver body. Gold also has two variants. Gold blade with a gold body and gold blade with a black body. I have caught tons of fish on other colors but this size and these colors have been the best.

    Name:  black gold PM.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  18.4 KB
    Name:  all silver PM.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  18.7 KB
    Name:  Gold gold PM.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  21.5 KB
    Name:  Yellow silver PM.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  14.0 KB

    Additionally, floating Rapalas in size number 5 work very well for browns, rainbows, and the walleye that reside in these sections. Three or four colors fit the bill. All of them are the original standard colors. Black back and silver belly, black back and gold belly, blue back and silver belly, and firetiger.

    There is a ton of water to cover below Hodenpyle dam. I am only showing a brief bit of it but the other side of the river can be a better producer but it would be tough to guide you to the locations. I would suggest (if you have time) getting in touch with the local canoe livery located in Sherman. Setup a trip from the Dam down to Red Bridge. Normal float times is around 4 to 5 hours but you might want to take longer as this is the best stretch on the river. Big brown trout, great rainbows in the lower stretches, some killer brook trout in areas, and some nice walleyes. Fishing the fast water throughout the chain along with areas where streams flush in can be exceptional. I’ve had trips where my partner and I have boated well over 400 trout.

    The lower stretches are much slower water and hold some gigantic Pike and Small Mouth Bass.

    If driving to different spots in on the list, I suggest fishing the lower (dam) stretch after 6pm. Wait until the sun is starting to sink below the trees in certain areas and shade is on the water. Sometimes you can find it at 4pm in some areas.

    Driving South on M37 you will come in to the town of Sherman. Not much of a town anymore. Turn left (east) on to West 14 mile rd and continue to North 19 Mile road (turn LEFT). You will go until you hit Harvey Bridge.
    Name:  Harvey Bridge Directions.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  13.9 KB

    Although you can fish the stretches up river, I suggest walking along the bank until you come to Adams creek. It dumps in to the river. Fish the section from where the creek dumps in. I’ve caught my biggest dam locked Brown in this area and also caught some decent Walleye. Rapala baits above work best in this slower moving water.
    Name:  Harvey Bridge TOPO.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  91.8 KB

    Cross Adams Creek and move up until you are at the face of a giant sand hill. This is faster moving water. Fish this water up to the bend. Panther Martins work best in the faster water HOWEVER, you can stand at the upper end and cast up stream with Rapalas. There used to be a log sticking up years ago and a partner and I limited out on walleyes in 15 minutes in this area one night. You can see the areas on the map above.

    Driving South on M37 you will hit the town of Mesick. There is now a roundabout where M37 hits M115 (stupid area). Turn right on to M115 and go through the town of Mesick. Wave at my old school as you pass by! You will go over the river and hit Hodenpyle dam road. Turn LEFT
    Name:  Dam Directions 1.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  15.7 KB

    Continue on this road past Northern Exposure campground. Eventually, the road turns in to BEERS road. There might be signs for the dam but turn LEFT on to Hodenpyle dam road. It will take you all the way to the dam. Take note of UPPER RIVER RD as you go by. Keep in mind that many of these roads are gravel!
    Name:  Dam Directions 2.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  30.5 KB

    The below map is an area I fish below the dam. You can walk down the stairs at the canoe livery area. Fish as close to the dam as you can get all the way down until you cannot walk (if you choose). The fast water area holds tons of trout and the deeper holes hold walleye. Trout love the Panther Martins and the walleye go for the rapalas. The other side is better for walleye after dark.
    Name:  Dam Fishing.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  84.4 KB

    If you drive down UPPER RIVER RD you will come to the suspension bridge over the river. Fish the below stretch with Panther Martins.
    Name:  Suspension Bridge fishing.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  73.1 KB

    Continue down upper river rd and you will hit woodcock creek (there is a sign and a parking area). Fish the red areas.
    Name:  Woodcock creek fishing.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  58.4 KB

    Continue down further and you will hit some parking areas along the river. Fish these red stretches of fast water
    Name:  Makeshift boat launch fishing.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  115.3 KB

    Further down you will come to BUDDINGTON Creek. There might not be signage but there is some private property along the river with a couple of trailers. Park in the parking areas and fish the stretches indicated.
    Name:  Budington Creek fishing.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  114.8 KB

    Further down you will come to a little road that goes LEFT. It will go along the power line for a couple hundred yards and stop at the base of a hill leading to the river. Walk the foot path down to the river and fish the areas indicated below.
    Name:  Powerline Fishing.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  92.9 KB

    There are several stretches along this road all the way that can be fished. You are looking for fast water. Panther Martins are your best choice in these areas to catch Trout.

    Again, if you have the time, take a canoe trip. The cost is cheap and you get to fish the entire river section and all the best spots.

    Hope this helps you out.

    Rich
    Wow! Thanks so much! You’ve handed me the keys to the kingdom! You guys have been awesome in all responses!
    80% of fish are in the 20% of water that I donít fish.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Leslie
    Posts
    3,912
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hopefully that puts you on some fish. Once you catch a few, you will be able to quickly see the areas they are hanging out in and duplicate the process throughout the river shed or system! Wish I could help out closer to TC but, as explained before, that was "Big City" area for us!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Thanks ET Fish thanked you for this post

  7. #17
    "D"'s Avatar
    "D" is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    savannah,tennessee
    Posts
    9,997
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Eric, those guys are true sportsman. I can say first hand they enjoy helping out visitors. If life was not in the way, I would get up there and spend some significant time. Good people, never met any finer southerners. Thank you guys for taking care of a good fellow from Tennessee.

    Eric, we need to try and go to their spring event next year. Bring a large appetite. "D"
    Member Team Overalls....Traveling Chapter
    Likes Just Steve LIKED above post
    Thanks ET Fish thanked you for this post

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alcoa, Tennessee
    Posts
    5,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "D" View Post
    Eric, those guys are true sportsman. I can say first hand they enjoy helping out visitors. If life was not in the way, I would get up there and spend some significant time. Good people, never met any finer southerners. Thank you guys for taking care of a good fellow from Tennessee.

    Eric, we need to try and go to their spring event next year. Bring a large appetite. "D"
    I just rolled in here today. No fishing, but man it’s beautiful! We are actually staying in Interlochen, on Green Lake. Oh, and if Eric is me, let’s change it to Alan.
    80% of fish are in the 20% of water that I donít fish.

  9. #19
    "D"'s Avatar
    "D" is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    savannah,tennessee
    Posts
    9,997
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ET Fish View Post
    I just rolled in here today. No fishing, but man it’s beautiful! We are actually staying in Interlochen, on Green Lake. Oh, and if Eric is me, let’s change it to Alan.
    I thought it was Eric. My bad.
    Member Team Overalls....Traveling Chapter
    Likes ET Fish LIKED above post

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Ionia county michigan
    Posts
    1,991
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How do you think Eric feels, you've been calling him Alan. You must be getting old, Denny
    Old fishermen don't die, they just smell that way.
    Proud member of Michigan chapter "Team Overalls"
    Berkley rods. Outfishing customs 2-1 since 2018

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP