SLABSAUCE Sold Here |
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Just installed a MotorMate

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    South Arkansas
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Just installed a MotorMate

    After years of wrestling with the traditional style motor toters, I invested in a MotorMate for my new rig. The old style ones would always end up flaring the aluminum square tube overtime and would not hold the motor straight. I even had one that ruined my trailer roller.
    the MotorMate is better in every way. Rock solid, easy to install, easy to use, smaller and even looks better.
    Too old to Rock and Roll and too young to quit fishing.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Same here, went Motor Mate a couple of years ago, best thing around.
    I know people tend to say what ever they have is best, but I have both, and there is no comparison. Motor on the 'Mate is rock solid, even if the boat moves a little on the trailer, what ever.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    South Arkansas
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My rig has an aluminum trailer and I noticed there is a lot more flex than my previous rigs. The trailer mounted brace was actually adding movement to my motor. These newer rigs have tremendous strength in the transom compared to some of the older rigs so it’s more about protecting the steering system and making sure your motor doesn’t leak down.
    ......Plus it doesn’t stick to the lower unit.
    Too old to Rock and Roll and too young to quit fishing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes, and I like how it locks the motor in from any side to side movement. I totally install mine with my left hand on the 'mate and my right hand on the tilt/trim, quick, smooth, and solid.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    2,871
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah View Post
    Yes, and I like how it locks the motor in from any side to side movement. I totally install mine with my left hand on the 'mate and my right hand on the tilt/trim, quick, smooth, and solid.
    I ain't never used one so excuse me if this is a stupid question. Could you possibly get your finger mashed?

    Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catchNgrease View Post
    I ain't never used one so excuse me if this is a stupid question. Could you possibly get your finger mashed?

    Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    No, It's a well thought out design.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Franklin, KY
    Posts
    751
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How does that design take pressure off your transom though? I always thought the idea was to keep the motor from bouncing and leveraging against the transom. The models that go to your trailer support the lower unit and transfer some of the shock down into the trailer frame and away from the transom. Thus why some models are called "transom savers." I looked and they did not make one for a smaller yamaha 2 stroke.

    I've also heard that you do not want to really tighten down your transom straps either so the boat can move and shift on the trailer to dissipate the road shock to an extent. That might all be bad advice though.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Don't think they make one for a mercury four stroke, 115 pro xs. Does anyone know of a good alternative?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    South Arkansas
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    How does that design take pressure off your transom though? I always thought the idea was to keep the motor from bouncing and leveraging against the transom. The models that go to your trailer support the lower unit and transfer some of the shock down into the trailer frame and away from the transom. Thus why some models are called "transom savers.".
    The transom on modern boats is very strong. If you think about the torque the motor puts on it when you are running in the water, the torque of trailering is small in comparison. Just think about the torque a 200 HP motor with 20 to 30 inches of leverage puts on a transom.
    Older boats had a lot of wood in the transom and were subject to deterioration over time. if you have an older boat, with a wood core in the transom a trailer braced transom saver would make sense...... But I think I would rather find a failed transom on the trailer rather than on the water.
    I think modern boat building technology has made the trailer braced support a thing of the past...... a lot of us just haven't given it much thought.
    Too old to Rock and Roll and too young to quit fishing.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    South Arkansas
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jp2 View Post
    Don't think they make one for a mercury four stroke, 115 pro xs. Does anyone know of a good alternative?
    You should give them a call.... I just saw one on that very motor a couple of weeks ago. in fact, that is what made me start shopping for one.
    Too old to Rock and Roll and too young to quit fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP