SLABSAUCE Crappie Attractant |
Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Spider Rigging Question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,963
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Spider Rigging Question

    OK you guys that spider rig a lot I need some tips and information on how you keep the lines from getting tangles up or hung up in the brush.

    Also do you fish lakes that are relatively clear of snags?

    I would hate to try to spider rig in the submerged forest in the upper reaches of Patoka Lake in Southern IN. Now out on the main lake where the corp cleared all the tree before the lake flooded might be an ideal location to spider rig.


    -----------------------------------------------------------------------





    I would think that using some weedless jigs would help a lot. I know that when I use the different types of weedless jigs that I loose far fewer jigs and get hung up less.

    I would think that by moving the boat that your hooks will set them self even if they are weedless. Might miss a few fish due to the weed guards getting in the way. But the flip side is you get a lot more fishing time and less time untangling fishing lines.

    I get enought tangles when just fishing with one rod. Somedays I swear I should get rid of all my open faced spinning reels go to the close face ones to prevent those nasty loops that get my line's all tangled up when I try to cast out a jig or bait.

    I even use the Reel Magic spray on the line and have gone to Iron Silk which does not seem to have a much memory or coils in the line after coming off the storage arbor.

    I think that going to a larger diametered spinning reel arbor would help too. As it would be closer to the size of the arbor that the line is sold on. Seems that the new fishing line is sold on larger plastic storage arbors these days as compared to 15 years ago. I use to buy the smaller 110 yard spools and those arbors were closer in diameter to my ultra light open faced spinning reels that I use.
    Last edited by Moose1am; 04-12-2005 at 10:18 AM.
    Regards,

    Moose1am

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fayette, Al.
    Posts
    684
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    OK you guys that spider rig a lot I need some tips and information on how you keep the lines from getting tangles up or hung up in the brush.

    Also do you fish lakes that are relatively clear of snags?

    I would hate to try to spider rig in the submerged forest in the upper reaches of Patoka Lake in Southern IN. Now out on the main lake where the corp cleared all the tree before the lake flooded might be an ideal location to spider rig.


    -----------------------------------------------------------------------





    I would think that using some weedless jigs would help a lot. I know that when I use the different types of weedless jigs that I loose far fewer jigs and get hung up less.

    I would think that by moving the boat that your hooks will set them self even if they are weedless. Might miss a few fish due to the weed guards getting in the way. But the flip side is you get a lot more fishing time and less time untangling fishing lines.

    I get enought tangles when just fishing with one rod. Somedays I swear I should get rid of all my open faced spinning reels go to the close face ones to prevent those nasty loops that get my line's all tangled up when I try to cast out a jig or bait.

    I even use the Reel Magic spray on the line and have gone to Iron Silk which does not seem to have a much memory or coils in the line after coming off the storage arbor.

    I think that going to a larger diametered spinning reel arbor would help too. As it would be closer to the size of the arbor that the line is sold on. Seems that the new fishing line is sold on larger plastic storage arbors these days as compared to 15 years ago. I use to buy the smaller 110 yard spools and those arbors were closer in diameter to my ultra light open faced spinning reels that I use.
    (Moose);; This aint on that topic, But you were talking about your transducer on the front of your boat was about trashed, When I bought my Pro-gator 4 years ago I think it had a hummingbird 8000 Transducer on the trolling motor foot the rest was gone, if your intrested take a snap shot of the butt connection & transducer post it. I'll see if i can find it. I haven't seen it in 4 years, but i know it's there ,Im the worlds biggest pack rat.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Snags

    Moose, Sometimes you will get tangled or snagged while spider-rigging. When we slow troll, we troll over the brush or other cover first, just to get an idea where the top of the brush is and the depth the crappie is holding at. Then set the baits at that depth. And sometimes we have to bump our baits right into the cover to get them to bite. We use the "Capps and Coleman" rig most of the time and with that rig, we use the 1/2 oz. egg sinker between the two hooks in most conditions. When we get hung up, we back up and shake the sinker and the hooks will usually come loose.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    East TN, Kissimmee, FL
    Posts
    492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ok, Crappie Chaser..you made me do some research to find
    out exactly what a "Caps & Coleman rig" looks like. Here is
    the url I found that shows it best.

    http://www.lakelavonfishing.com/viewtopic.php?p=13535

    Thanks for making me look !

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Posts
    907
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I bought a bunch of them already rigged up when I was at Reelfoot this winter, but I think I like tying a 1/2 to 3/4 oz. bell sinker to the end of the line and then tying a hook 18" up directly to the line with a Palomar knot and then another 12-18" another hook. Seems like it don't get hung as easy to stuff on the bottom if you accidentally get too shallow.

    Someone tell me about spider rigging with jigs, and that you can catch them with jigs. Cause I can't catch em unless I use minnows on a spider rig for some reason.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tnvol
    Ok, Crappie Chaser..you made me do some research to find
    out exactly what a "Caps & Coleman rig" looks like. Here is
    the url I found that shows it best.

    http://www.lakelavonfishing.com/viewtopic.php?p=13535

    Thanks for making me look !
    I have used and seen a rig something like that for years. I have always heard it called the "Kentucky Lake Crappie Rig". The difference is the weight is on the bottom and wire out riggers for the hook lines. Usually the main line is 20-30lb test and the hook lines are 4-8lb test. I have always done most of my spider rigging at times when the fish are suspended in deep water, and try to vertically fish in the cover with these same rigs. We always used different length poles in descending lengths from outside to the boat to alleviate some of the probability of tangles.

  7. #7
    Barnacle Bill's Avatar
    Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Chesapeake, Va
    Posts
    17,511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Moose, you can eliminate almost all of those annoying loops you get on your open face spinning reel by manually closing the bail just before the bait hits the water. It takes some getting use to if you don't do it that way, but after a while you do it automatically. Also I use to have the bad habit of putting too much line on the spool. It just seemed more was better but it not.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

    Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Fiddlefarter, I like this exact rig you just mentioned when I need to troll much slower than I normally do, or when anchored over a brush pile. The bell sinker allows me to 'feel' the cover and helps with getting baits down into it. But when trolling in open water, dropoffs, stump fields, etc..., we like the Capps and Coleman rig because this rig lets the minnows and/or jigs to swim more naturally and away from the sinker, leaders and swivels. The egg sinker is key in helping us troll at the correct speed (line at about 15 degree angle while moving). Trolling slower than that will result in hooks tangling with the line and leaders, and that's when we use a bell sinker on the bottom.





    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlefarter
    I bought a bunch of them already rigged up when I was at Reelfoot this winter, but I think I like tying a 1/2 to 3/4 oz. bell sinker to the end of the line and then tying a hook 18" up directly to the line with a Palomar knot and then another 12-18" another hook. Seems like it don't get hung as easy to stuff on the bottom if you accidentally get too shallow.

    Someone tell me about spider rigging with jigs, and that you can catch them with jigs. Cause I can't catch em unless I use minnows on a spider rig for some reason.
    Last edited by Crappie Chaser; 04-12-2005 at 05:55 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Drexel in western NC
    Posts
    937
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I had tournament bass fished for many years and several years ago when I retired, I decided to try tournament crappie fishing . One of the first things I did was to buy the Capps and Coleman book on slow vertical trolling. Some call it spider rigging, but I have learned that many fisherman use the spider rig to troll at speed and the term spider rigging can mean different things to different fishermen.
    I assume you are talking about slow vertical trolling. In Indiana specifically, Patoka Lake you are limited to 3 rods per person. I have never been there but will make the trip in September for the CUSA classic.
    I typically use eight rods and recommend only using a single hook when learning this technique. With three rods I see no reason why you shouldn't start with a double hook configuration.
    I have found it best to know what you are fishing before you go poking the rod into a brush pile. Slow vertical trolling is not a search method. It is a way to effectively fish known structure. That can be stumps, brush piles, standing timber, creek channels, etc.
    The key is knowing the depth of the structure so you can set the bait for an effective presentation.
    Another key is speed control. On a windy day it is hard to control the boat for effective presentation. It is easy enough to say to ease into a brushpile against the wind and let the wind blow you back. It is easy to say " drag a chain" " use a sea anchor" Unfortunately winds swirl and change direction so the best laid plans can mean 3 hung rods. Those things can help with boat control, but they must be mastered, They are not plug and play.
    I always have extra double rigs tied up and wound on fun doodles. I have them in weights from 3/8 oz to 2 oz for varying wind and water conditions.
    Replacing a rig , when you have then preprepared, is not much more time consuming than tying on a jig.
    I do not like spin or spin cast equipment for this type fishing, but most people do. To eliminate the line jumping off the spool, I would just fill the spool half full. You don't need very much line to spider rig. I doubt if you will fish much more than 30 ft. deep. If the line on the reel is larger than your leader lines you will rarely if ever break it. With the Capps and Coleman rig, the line from the 3 way swivel to the reel should never break.
    In standing timber, depending on how close together it is, you can actually fish two sides of a tree at once. Off course if there are underwater limbs that can be a problem.
    Spider rigging is one of many tools to use when crappie fishing. One can decide to use it in all situations. In that case water conducive to that technique will have to be selected. Conversly one can decide to master various techniques and try to select one depending on the time of year and lake to be fished.
    I do not put the rods out and go hunting something to fish. I locate a point, a creek channel etc. and fish the various break lines. I try to locate any brush piles and gps them before I put the rods out.
    If I were fishing with a three rod limit I would still have a 3 rod holder configuration on each side of the boat. That will give you geater flixability when setting the rods to fish a particular situation.
    Good luck, it is a very productive way to catch them crappie.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default My two cents...

    Before I started spider fishing, I bought, read, and memorized the book WINNING CRAPPIE SECRETS. This book was written by Tim Huffman about Capps and Colemans way of fishing. To this day it is probably the best crappie fishing book in my collection. If you haven`t read it go to www.monstercrappie.com and order a copy. To keep from getting hung up in the tree tops I try to fish right above the structure. Attached are a couple of setups we use. Copy and paste the address.



    http://images.snapfish.com/343659352...8%3C%3B3nu0mrj

    http://images.snapfish.com/343659352...B4%3B882ot1lsi
    2018 Triton 18TX 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-HDS 9 Touch
    ACC CRAPPIE STIX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP