SLABSAUCE Crappie Attractant |
Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Cheap Spider Rig Poles

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Cheap Spider Rig Poles

    I am just getting into spider rigging and would like some advice on affordable rods. These will be used with 20 pound line and a 1 oz weight slow trolling in a MUDDY low land resivor in Arkansas. I saw a Zebco model that is cheap but I dont know if it will be to soft for the heavy weight. Does anyone have any thoughts on a rod with a stiffer back bone and a soft price?
    Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate all the advice from you guys.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,963
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wondering why you are choosing to use 1 oz weights? Does that water have swift current where you are fishing? Or do you like to troll faster than 1mph?

    Might look into the Ugly sticks or see if Wally Marshall had a heavy duty rod. You won't want a super sensitive Sam Heaton rod for that kind of fishing unless you switch to a much lighter weight and go slower than 0.5mph when trolling.

    Check out the more stocky BnM poles as there is a link to them on this web site.


    Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    I am just getting into spider rigging and would like some advice on affordable rods. These will be used with 20 pound line and a 1 oz weight slow trolling in a MUDDY low land resivor in Arkansas. I saw a Zebco model that is cheap but I dont know if it will be to soft for the heavy weight. Does anyone have any thoughts on a rod with a stiffer back bone and a soft price?
    Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate all the advice from you guys.
    Regards,

    Moose1am

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    BeaverLake, Arkansas
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I usually use 3/4oz. double hooked and drift b&m 8' plus trollers are'nt too bad for the price been using 8lb p-line. Have'nt broke too many rigs, if they're hanging on the bottom. Now that they are starting to suspend i prefer 1/8 jig drifting & letting it bounce through the laydowns.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boydton,VA
    Posts
    623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I Use The 10' B&m Slow Trollers They Are 11.99 Each And A Good Pole To Use.i Also Use 3/4 To 1 Oz Weight When I Am In Deep Water To Speed Troll,but I Use 6 Lb Suffix Line And Never Have A Problem.
    Dave
    Boydton,VA

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Wondering why you are choosing to use 1 oz weights? Does that water have swift current where you are fishing? Or do you like to troll faster than 1mph?

    Might look into the Ugly sticks or see if Wally Marshall had a heavy duty rod. You won't want a super sensitive Sam Heaton rod for that kind of fishing unless you switch to a much lighter weight and go slower than 0.5mph when trolling.

    Check out the more stocky BnM poles as there is a link to them on this web site.
    Moose I dont know why the guys that got me "hooked" on this spider rigging fish with such a heavy weight but they do. The two times I have been with them this spring we were the envy of the lake as well. People were actualy comming up to us and asking us how we were fishing our rigs. They also use 20 pound test line so when they hang they just pull the hook out and dont slow down. They fish a max of 3 feet deep so I wouldnt think you would need that much weight either but I was just going to do it like they do it. What do you reccomend?
    I really appreciate your help. I have been a outdoorsman all my life (37 years) and I do it all. My wife enjoys fishing and we have a wonderful 5 year old who would rather catch bait and fish than play game boy. I have been primarilay a bass fisherman but found I just simply enjoy crappie fishing more. Not to mention crappie eating. I cant tell you how nice it is to have access to knowleagable men such as yourself and a message board like this to help me get started and rigged out correctly so we can go and catch some fish and not just go fishing. Thanks again for your help

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Central GA
    Posts
    1,754
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    Moose I dont know why the guys that got me "hooked" on this spider rigging fish with such a heavy weight but they do. The two times I have been with them this spring we were the envy of the lake as well. People were actualy comming up to us and asking us how we were fishing our rigs. They also use 20 pound test line so when they hang they just pull the hook out and dont slow down. They fish a max of 3 feet deep so I wouldnt think you would need that much weight either but I was just going to do it like they do it. What do you reccomend?
    I really appreciate your help. I have been a outdoorsman all my life (37 years) and I do it all. My wife enjoys fishing and we have a wonderful 5 year old who would rather catch bait and fish than play game boy. I have been primarilay a bass fisherman but found I just simply enjoy crappie fishing more. Not to mention crappie eating. I cant tell you how nice it is to have access to knowleagable men such as yourself and a message board like this to help me get started and rigged out correctly so we can go and catch some fish and not just go fishing. Thanks again for your help
    It really depends on the time of year when you might need to fish a weight that heavy or what application you are using it for...I would understand if you are tightlining and fishing brushpiles with a slow troll in deep water....

    And you also want to make sure you don't keep that 3ft. max as your limit to how far down you should fish.....later in the summer those crappie are gonna school up in deep water and hang around structure say about 15 - 25 ft deep....so that 3ft range will not really produce in my opinion.

    There are SOOO many different ways to troll.....a great book to use as a constant reference is the In-Fisherman's Crappie Wisdom.....it has ALL kinds of fantastic tips.....
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP