SLABSAUCE Sold Here |
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Itty bitty verses small minnows

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Itty bitty verses small minnows

    Me and my dad fished today from daylight to 11 am or so, he had 1-1 1/2 inch minnows, I tried the Bobby garlan itty bitty jig in electric chicken color, man it’s hard to keep the bream from tearing up the jig before you can even catch a crappie on it. To start off with, I caught 10-12 smaller crappie before he even got a bite, then he caught one then I caught about 8 more before we left treetops and started fishing deeper water, we had maybe 20 crappie and 4 catfish, fun day, it was strange to me that a crappie would rather eat a piece of plastic than a smaller 1 1/2 inch minnow.
    How in the world do you keep the jig up on the hook, with such a itty bitty jig, I tried super glue but it wouldn’t do very good, not enough there to stick to.
    Likes S10CHEVY, gillchaser999 LIKED above post

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Norman, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,978
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Lang View Post
    Me and my dad fished today from daylight to 11 am or so, he had 1-1 1/2 inch minnows, I tried the Bobby garlan itty bitty jig in electric chicken color, man it’s hard to keep the bream from tearing up the jig before you can even catch a crappie on it. To start off with, I caught 10-12 smaller crappie before he even got a bite, then he caught one then I caught about 8 more before we left treetops and started fishing deeper water, we had maybe 20 crappie and 4 catfish, fun day, it was strange to me that a crappie would rather eat a piece of plastic than a smaller 1 1/2 inch minnow.
    How in the world do you keep the jig up on the hook, with such a itty bitty jig, I tried super glue but it wouldn’t do very good, not enough there to stick to.
    It happens more often than youd think. Of the 10 tournies I've fished in the last year, I've weighed about half a dozen fish caught on minnows, and probably caught 20 out of the last 1500-2000ish I've caught, on minnows. I've watched them nose up to them on Livescope and the minnow would wiggle trying to get away, and spook the fish off, or the fish would back off and lose interest.

    I'm not sure why it happens but it does.
    Thanks Danny Lang thanked you for this post

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tignall, GA
    Posts
    973
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Lang View Post
    Me and my dad fished today from daylight to 11 am or so, he had 1-1 1/2 inch minnows, I tried the Bobby garlan itty bitty jig in electric chicken color, man it’s hard to keep the bream from tearing up the jig before you can even catch a crappie on it. To start off with, I caught 10-12 smaller crappie before he even got a bite, then he caught one then I caught about 8 more before we left treetops and started fishing deeper water, we had maybe 20 crappie and 4 catfish, fun day, it was strange to me that a crappie would rather eat a piece of plastic than a smaller 1 1/2 inch minnow.
    How in the world do you keep the jig up on the hook, with such a itty bitty jig, I tried super glue but it wouldn’t do very good, not enough there to stick to.
    Take dental floss and wrap it up the shank of the hook between the bend and the barb. Super glue it in place. Then apply super glue to the floss and put the BG body on. The body will then stay up and you can catch quite a few fish on it before it gets torn up. (The floss grabs the hook and the plastic grabs the floss)

    Hope that helps!
    Chris

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tignall, GA
    Posts
    973
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Look up Richard Gene on you tube. He has a video showing how to tie a loop knot and the floss trick.

    How To Tie A Loop Knot For Fishing - Plus A Crappie Jig Secret ! - YouTube
    Likes Danny Lang, MCG1, skeetbum, CrappiePumba LIKED above post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks fellows I’ll have to give that a try.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    louisville ky
    Posts
    5,407
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NCkenner View Post
    Take dental floss and wrap it up the shank of the hook between the bend and the barb. Super glue it in place. Then apply super glue to the floss and put the BG body on. The body will then stay up and you can catch quite a few fish on it before it gets torn up. (The floss grabs the hook and the plastic grabs the floss)

    Hope that helps!
    Chris
    sounds more like the "SUPER GLUE" grabs the hook and the floss.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes Danny Lang, Redge LIKED above post

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    15,544
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I like a jig over a minnow 99.9% of the time , less to deal with and typically wears out the fish better , as far as the itty bitty baits go ,they are just to soft for me to deal with , but they will ketch fish for sure .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes ezgoing, Danny Lang LIKED above post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    I like a jig over a minnow 99.9% of the time , less to deal with and typically wears out the fish better , as far as the itty bitty baits go ,they are just to soft for me to deal with , but they will ketch fish for sure .
    i agree with you ketchn, those itty bittys are very soft, we were not catchin many so we had to adapt to what we could do to ketchn us a few.
    Likes ezgoing LIKED above post

  9. #9
    ezgoing's Avatar
    ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,143
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    I like a jig over a minnow 99.9% of the time , less to deal with and typically wears out the fish better , as far as the itty bitty baits go ,they are just to soft for me to deal with , but they will ketch fish for sure .
    I'm just the opposite. I prefer the smaller jigs. My favorite jig size is 1/64th oz when I'm jigging. I consider 1/16th to be a large jig. Only time I use larger is due to wind conditions. However I do place split shots around 6" above the jig to get it to fall faster.

    I will go to 1/8th oz when I casting without a float. If I am use a sliding float I still like the smaller jigs with split shots on the line.

    Haven't said that, Ketchn is a much better ketcher than I am. So you are probable better off following his advice instead of mine.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid. -Ben Franklin
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Any day I'm fishing is a good day, regardless of what I catch.
    Likes Danny Lang LIKED above post

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As others have said, the dental floss trick works well


    Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes Danny Lang LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP