SLABSAUCE Crappie Attractant |
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Found them partying under the pontoons

  1. #11
    CrappiePappy's Avatar
    CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    21,086
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    That is dock shooting on Chickamauga. Most all docks are floating. All the marinas are floating docks. The few wooden pole docks that you do find have cross members waiting to grab your jig. I learned to shoot on lake Guntersville. Lots of open space wood post docks and boat houses. The Chick made me relearn the game and forced to practice to shoot into those small openings
    Guntersville sounds like Watts Bar, as far as the stationary docks. That's where I was first introduced to "shooting docks" (& under pontoon boats), back around 2000-2001 when I first started the Spring Fling / Fall Brawl tourneys. I was already using weedless jigs, so the crossmembers & trees & brushpiles under the docks were not a "big" deal ... just a bit of an annoyance, at times.

    All the docks/marinas at my local lakes are "floaters", but I still can't resist shooting a jig under them. But, my favorite target is a pontoon moored in a slip (esp. one that is dirt/web/bird droppings coated, because then I know it hasn't moved in a long time & the fish are accustomed to hanging around it).
    Thanks DockShootinJack thanked you for this post

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dayton Tennessee
    Posts
    15,677
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Guntersville sounds like Watts Bar, as far as the stationary docks. That's where I was first introduced to "shooting docks" (& under pontoon boats), back around 2000-2001 when I first started the Spring Fling / Fall Brawl tourneys. I was already using weedless jigs, so the crossmembers & trees & brushpiles under the docks were not a "big" deal ... just a bit of an annoyance, at times.

    All the docks/marinas at my local lakes are "floaters", but I still can't resist shooting a jig under them. But, my favorite target is a pontoon moored in a slip (esp. one that is dirt/web/bird droppings coated, because then I know it hasn't moved in a long time & the fish are accustomed to hanging around it).
    I saw a large cruiser/ live aboard yesterday that had a couple of inches of bird poop across the bow section. It was a shame to see such a sight. But there was a crappie hanging out just under her waterline. I need to head up to Watts Bar and learn it. It is not that far away.
    :I would like to thank the builders of docks for giving me a place to fish and lose tackle

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Rutland, OH
    Posts
    8,229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Russ Bailey from Brushpile Fishing swears by fishing aluminum docks, because he says the metal transmits the heat into the water. That might be the same effect.

    I saw that that particular episode. If you go to his website itís an episode from Grand Lake St. Maryís Ohio.
    John

    ď Go make an impact for Godís Kingdom today and everyday. ď
    Thanks DockShootinJack thanked you for this post

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    12,371
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    one of the lakes I like with lots of black crappie in it often has a great bite under the pontoon boats .
    some boats hold a high number of fish under them .
    nice read
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Lake St Louis, mo
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    my home lake the fishing is all about the docks especially the ones with poles for the cover going down into water as those are the place to put your jig. havn't really hit the pontoons or under and that's funny since I have a pontoon and don't use it much as the neighbor always insists on going in his for our night cruises. mine sits most of the time with algae on the toons. guess will have to shoot my own!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dayton Tennessee
    Posts
    15,677
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    one of the lakes I like with lots of black crappie in it often has a great bite under the pontoon boats .
    some boats hold a high number of fish under them .
    nice read
    I picked up most of the fish off of 4 boats. The other boats had single fish on them.
    :I would like to thank the builders of docks for giving me a place to fish and lose tackle

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dayton Tennessee
    Posts
    15,677
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hdhntr View Post
    my home lake the fishing is all about the docks especially the ones with poles for the cover going down into water as those are the place to put your jig. havn't really hit the pontoons or under and that's funny since I have a pontoon and don't use it much as the neighbor always insists on going in his for our night cruises. mine sits most of the time with algae on the toons. guess will have to shoot my own!
    A warm day in winter will find them under the toons as well. Great places to find fish. A lot of dock shooters will bypass the pontoons.
    :I would like to thank the builders of docks for giving me a place to fish and lose tackle

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    2,339
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for sharing and taking us along. I had to sit it out last week due to rain and honey-dos. Gotta get me some dock therapy.

    Sent from my E6910 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Memphis, Tn.
    Posts
    1,426
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I’d love to try dock shootin some day if I can get the image of a hook sinking into my finger out of my head,,,had that happen a few times and man did it hurt trying to dig it out
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dayton Tennessee
    Posts
    15,677
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bobby Garland makes a small tab that you put on the jig for you to grab. Keeps your fingers a little farther from the hook. I hold the jig head between my thumb and my index finger with the hook pointed up and away from me
    :I would like to thank the builders of docks for giving me a place to fish and lose tackle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP