SLABSAUCE Crappie Attractant |
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: I Was Just Stubborn

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Millbrook, AL
    Posts
    412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default I Was Just Stubborn

    For years I fished for crappie exclusively by vertical jigging in brush piles with long rod and minnows. At times I would spider rig with bugs and minnows. I finally tried casting various jigs to brush piles and other likely spots (docks as one example). Well, I'm a convert. While there are times vertical jigging will work, I was severely limiting myself by using that method exclusively. I'm posting this in case there are one or two others who are restricting themselves as I have done. I credit watching Richard Gene (on You Tube) for opening my eyes.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!
    Likes RickyI, S10CHEVY, Slab, rojoguio, Jamesdean and 1 others LIKED above post

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Church Point, La.
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gansett View Post
    For years I fished for crappie exclusively by vertical jigging in brush piles with long rod and minnows. At times I would spider rig with bugs and minnows. I finally tried casting various jigs to brush piles and other likely spots (docks as one example). Well, I'm a convert. While there are times vertical jigging will work, I was severely limiting myself by using that method exclusively. I'm posting this in case there are one or two others who are restricting themselves as I have done.
    I was one of those guys too and I didn't even do anything if it wasn't close to the bank where I could see the wood! Its a whole lot more fun now doing it many different ways for sure! There are many ways to catch a slab now for sure!
    Rick

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    9,079
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gansett View Post
    I finally tried casting various jigs to brush piles and other likely spots (docks as one example). Well, I'm a convert.
    Bless you, my son. Congratulations on your “road to Damascus” experience.

    I grew up casting jigs. I was probably thirty before I saw somebody who was not casting for crappie.
    I can eat my weight in cocktail wieners.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    264
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm very addicted to the Thump which intensifies when the pole and jig are static. I cast meat fishing but we have a tremendous amount of wood to vertical fish and great crappie populations. Casting in the rivers swimming the bait back with the tide really works here. On the Rez I rarely see someone casting the upper part especially above the Hwy 43 bridge. Mostly spider rig anglers.
    Likes Centurion LIKED above post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,815
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Glad that you’ve seen the light. Now when the fishing gets tough, downsize into the realm of 2lb test and learn how to finesse them into coming home with you. And remember that elephants eat peanuts. I’ve caught many 2+lb crappie on my little jigs under 1/32 that were cast into their bedroom.
    Listen to your gut over all the other voices.
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,815
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Glad that you’ve seen the light. Now when the fishing gets tough, downsize into the realm of 2lb test and learn how to finesse them into coming home with you. And remember that elephants eat peanuts. I’ve caught many 2+lb crappie on my little jigs under 1/32 that were cast into their bedroom.
    Listen to your gut over all the other voices.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Millbrook, AL
    Posts
    412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That's exactly what Richard Gene said. I'll be trying it for sure.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sanford, NC
    Posts
    6,349
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gansett View Post
    That's exactly what Richard Gene said. I'll be trying it for sure.
    "Fishin' is a Sport Second to None ~ And That's All They are to it Right There." - Richard Gene the Fishing Machine
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Nw CT
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have never vertical jigged for the little buggers yet, Ive just always casted from shore and boat with great success. However now that I have my first real boat, 16' instead of my 8' bass hunter I am gathering up the parts to make a spider rig and give that a try. also looking for my first fish finder as well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,815
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wc870 View Post
    I have never vertical jigged for the little buggers yet, Ive just always casted from shore and boat with great success. However now that I have my first real boat, 16' instead of my 8' bass hunter I am gathering up the parts to make a spider rig and give that a try. also looking for my first fish finder as well.
    Not to hijack the thread but I’ve found that spider rigging can get into some tackle that doesn’t do well for anything else. Until you figure out if it’s for you, try to keep the gear you buy multi purpose.
    Listen to your gut over all the other voices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP