SLABSAUCE Fish Attractant |
Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32

Thread: Minnow Hook Question?

  1. #21
    CrappiePappy's Avatar
    CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    19,355
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    SAY WHAT ??? Exactly how big are the minnows ya'll are using with these 2/0 3/0 4/0 hooks ???



    I'll be honest with ya'll .... I don't even use a 2/0 hook when worm fishing for Bass !! And that's when using 4" plastic craws or 7" worms !! Granted, they're "worm hooks" and not "minner hooks", but I've caught & landed a ton of Bass, Crappie, Catfish, Drum, and various other species on a jig with a #4 Aberdeen hook.

    Maybe I'm missing something, but I still don't see where using such big hooks is going to help catch more fish ....
    Likes smoothlures, Mike1234 LIKED above post

  2. #22
    Cray's Avatar
    Cray is offline Crappie.com Legend and Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Byhalia,Mississippi
    Posts
    15,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The crappie we catch down here pappy will straighten out a #4 hook trying to land them. And most of us use minnows when we can get them that are 3-4 inches long.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979




  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Philipp Mississippi
    Posts
    2,082
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yep what cray said we use some biguns


    Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Down here in Texas we use a hay hook and paracord.
    Likes dhaire, svh LIKED above post

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BJH View Post
    Down here in Texas we use a hay hook and paracord.
    Everything is bigger in Texas
    :I would like to thank the builders of docks for giving me a place to fish and lose tackle

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,011
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I used to use 2/0 hooks years ago. I gaurantee ya they will straighten out easier than a #4 hook. That spot I hook a fish in the roof of its mouth is the same size on every fish. It's about the size of a sewing needle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    The crappie we catch down here pappy will straighten out a #4 hook trying to land them. And most of us use minnows when we can get them that are 3-4 inches long.
    Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app




  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    In a Sharknado, fighting off sharks
    Posts
    7,871
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    SAY WHAT ??? Exactly how big are the minnows ya'll are using with these 2/0 3/0 4/0 hooks ???



    I'll be honest with ya'll .... I don't even use a 2/0 hook when worm fishing for Bass !! And that's when using 4" plastic craws or 7" worms !! Granted, they're "worm hooks" and not "minner hooks", but I've caught & landed a ton of Bass, Crappie, Catfish, Drum, and various other species on a jig with a #4 Aberdeen hook.

    Maybe I'm missing something, but I still don't see where using such big hooks is going to help catch more fish ....
    I don't get it, either. I've literally caught baby tarpon on smaller hooks. My biggest freshwater fish (a 23# grass carp) came on a #12.
    Future moderator of the “Does My Big Toe Look Infected To You? (PIC HEAVY) forum

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Rutland, OH
    Posts
    185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    1/0 or 2/0 Aberdeen is all I use and red is my color of preference.
    John

    “ Go make an impact for God’s Kingdom today and everyday. “

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,172
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I do like some red hooks
    :I would like to thank the builders of docks for giving me a place to fish and lose tackle

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Lake Wales, FL
    Posts
    183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I misspoke, went to restock my tackle box and realized that I use #2 true turn hooks. Both gold and red
    Quote Originally Posted by RobAnderson View Post
    I switched to a 2/0 true turn hook a few years ago and have decreased my misses substantially. I fish in open water with live minnows. Just my 2 cents.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app






Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP