SLABSAUCE Fish Attractant |
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Carp Harvest Fund Donations /Help eliminate Asian Carp

  1. #1
    M R Dux's Avatar
    M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Benton,KY / KY Lake
    Posts
    5,918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Carp Harvest Fund Donations /Help eliminate Asian Carp

    As many of you know, we have a SERIOUS problem in the Tennessee, Cumberland and Mississippi River valleys with Asian carp, both Silver (the jumpers) and Bigheads. We are almost to the point of losing fisheries in KY and Barkley Lakes. Many rivers like the Wabash and Illinois are unfishable.

    Finally the powers that be are starting to listen and have set up a fund called The Carp Harvest Fund. It is to raise money to go directly to commercial fishermen who are netting the carp. The market price has been so low they couldn't make money netting the Asian Carp. This fund will help them buy nets, fuel and directly subsidize the market price so they can profit from their labors. I have attended meeting for years about the carp but finally Fish and Wildlife agencies from several states as well as the federal government have started working together on this.

    I know several commercial fishermen and even with this subsidy, they are not going to get rich catching Asian carp. This is back-breaking work but they will become the first, and only, line of defense against us losing our game fish.

    Please consider donating. If I see this fund is not being used for its intended use, I will be the first to scream from the rooftops. Be sure to check the "Invasive Species" box.

    Carp Harvest Fund






    Last edited by Slab; 07-24-2018 at 07:38 PM.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Thanks Fish on Line, halibut4me thanked you for this post

  2. #2
    cevans's Avatar
    cevans is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    3,946
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maybe this needs to be a permanent Sticky . Give what you can, but it’s our only way to fight the problem right now.

    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Likes CrappieFiend816 LIKED above post

  3. #3
    M R Dux's Avatar
    M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Benton,KY / KY Lake
    Posts
    5,918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That's what this post is for. Ed is going to put it up as a Sticky.

    I just donated $100.00 to get this started.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes cevans, CrappieFiend816 LIKED above post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    267
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maybe I am misreading this point under the "Goals of the Fund" section, but it almost sounds like they maybe are hoping for and end game of the private donations of the fund to eventually replace the current government subsidy to commercial fisherman. I think anything donated should be over and above that assistance not in lieu of it.

    "5. If needed or in lieu of state assistance, provide $0.05-$0.10 per-pound subsidy to commercial fishermen."

  5. #5
    cevans's Avatar
    cevans is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    3,946
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Retrieve View Post
    Maybe I am misreading this point under the "Goals of the Fund" section, but it almost sounds like they maybe are hoping for and end game of the private donations of the fund to eventually replace the current government subsidy to commercial fisherman. I think anything donated should be over and above that assistance not in lieu of it.

    "5. If needed or in lieu of state assistance, provide $0.05-$0.10 per-pound subsidy to commercial fishermen."
    no good answers for the commercial fishermen as they need 25 cents or more per pound to make a living and pay for expensive nets, gas, ice, and even labor. KY and your Corps has built a ice machine for them at KY Dam, but they still have to cover ground to get them to a commercial buyer. Here are some videos that are great to watch and educate you on some of the issues and problems of relying on commercial fishermen to help with elimination as right now, commercial fishing is the only way to slow and get rid of carp.
    https://www.waroncarp.com/videos/




    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"
    Likes Woodworker42 LIKED above post
    Thanks Fish on Line thanked you for this post

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    267
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    no good answers for the commercial fishermen as they need 25 cents or more per pound to make a living and pay for expensive nets, gas, ice, and even labor. KY and your Corps has built a ice machine for them at KY Dam, but they still have to cover ground to get them to a commercial buyer. Here are some videos that are great to watch and educate you on some of the issues and problems of relying on commercial fishermen to help with elimination as right now, commercial fishing is the only way to slow and get rid of carp.
    https://www.waroncarp.com/videos/

    I think you misunderstood my point. I am all for supporting our commercial fisherman in this fight. I just would hate to see the fund used as a lateral move dollars in subsidies instead of actually increasing the monies paid to them. That part from the funds web site I quoted which mentioned "in lieu of state assistance" just raised some question in my mind about that.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    569
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just finished watching Carp Wars tournament video. 100,000 lbs of carp caught in 2 days. Why can't all these brilliant politicians get with Hollywood, and start a reality/ tournament series? Seems like it would be a win for everybody. $20,000.00 in prize money is nothing for modern game shows these days. Rednecks, water , fish, and prize money? I'm in . With shows like Ax men , gold rush and others succeeding, I don't understand why this hasn't been tapped into .
    Likes halibut4me, NUBSTER, redearhoosier LIKED above post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    267
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Just finished watching Carp Wars tournament video. 100,000 lbs of carp caught in 2 days. Why can't all these brilliant politicians get with Hollywood, and start a reality/ tournament series? Seems like it would be a win for everybody. $20,000.00 in prize money is nothing for modern game shows these days. Rednecks, water , fish, and prize money? I'm in . With shows like Ax men , gold rush and others succeeding, I don't understand why this hasn't been tapped into .
    The Outdoor Channel had a reality series about commercial fisherman called Bottom Feeders. I think it ran for about two or three seasons but must have been canceled because I haven't seen in for a few years now.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    569
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That's correct . But it wasn't a tournament. How could commercial tournament Fishing be less attractive to cable tv than some of the stupid stuff that's on there?? I looks like they could make money, and serve a great purpose. They pull 50 tons of carp out in 2 days , that would have to help after a while .
    Likes Cphill LIKED above post

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Southaven, MS
    Posts
    8,755
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The bad thing is we need 25 to 40 tons pulled out daily to show a dent in them now. They use special nets that aren't cheap. There is no real income from them like cats until the processing plants start paying more. As long as they can get them cheap/free and rake in the money they are fine with it. But, not much of a market for them here.
    They want to do some tournaments, open it up, commercial, sports and non license. Have a pay out for biggest load per group, biggest fish for sportsman and non license. Get those lake/river runners involved that don't want them in their boats.
    For those of use that are to far away from
    processing plants and only get a few, set up collection centers that will pay you so much per pound. I've seen a bunch snagged at Butla spillway and left on the bank, no telling how many more. Collection centers set up to pay you, freeze the fish and a weekly route to pick the up with collector making some money for his time would help.
    Another idea, you don't need a license to fish or for having tackle in your boat as long as you only keep the carp. Guess the only thing needed would be nets and coolers.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP