SLABSAUCE Fish Attractant |
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Kentucky Fish and Wildlife information

  1. #11
    M R Dux's Avatar
    M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Benton,KY / KY Lake
    Posts
    5,975
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We missed you at the meeting Tuesday.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

  2. #12
    CrappiePappy's Avatar
    CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    19,342
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    https://fw.ky.gov/Fish/Documents/FishingGuide.pdf

    .... just to have as a reference.


  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    KENTUCKY
    Posts
    101
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For anyone wondering about the state of the crappie spawn:
    For the past three days we have seen more crappie in the bushes on ky lake than Iíve ever seen. On Barkley, we are seeing more bass up shallow. neither lake has a ton of redear up yet, but definitely has some in the classic spots.

    Our larval crappie surveys are ongoing, but We havenít had time to view any of them under the microscope yet.

    The spawn window for crappie is about a month usually, but we are definitely seeing a major wave of spawners right now on ky. They need about 8 days minimum to spawn successfully.

    Tva is ahead of schedule on lake elevations due to flooding. Normally they would drop below 359 and then bring it back up around May 1st, however, they are going to try to hold it slightly above summer pool for at least ten days since we have fish spawning. Any additional rainfall or flooding could change that strategy because the corps of engineers will then be calling the shots due to flood stages in the rivers.

    Weíve actually got spring weather this year so itís an interesting year for our fish spawns scientifically speaking. Years are almost never good for both crappie and bass, but I hope this year is an exception.
    Thanks crp4570, funfishers thanked you for this post

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    glasgow ky
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Is the timing about the same on Nolin too? and Green River lake and Rough?



    Quote Originally Posted by Amartinbio View Post
    For anyone wondering about the state of the crappie spawn:
    For the past three days we have seen more crappie in the bushes on ky lake than Iíve ever seen. On Barkley, we are seeing more bass up shallow. neither lake has a ton of redear up yet, but definitely has some in the classic spots.

    Our larval crappie surveys are ongoing, but We havenít had time to view any of them under the microscope yet.

    The spawn window for crappie is about a month usually, but we are definitely seeing a major wave of spawners right now on ky. They need about 8 days minimum to spawn successfully.

    Tva is ahead of schedule on lake elevations due to flooding. Normally they would drop below 359 and then bring it back up around May 1st, however, they are going to try to hold it slightly above summer pool for at least ten days since we have fish spawning. Any additional rainfall or flooding could change that strategy because the corps of engineers will then be calling the shots due to flood stages in the rivers.

    Weíve actually got spring weather this year so itís an interesting year for our fish spawns scientifically speaking. Years are almost never good for both crappie and bass, but I hope this year is an exception.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    KENTUCKY
    Posts
    101
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Iím not sure about those lakes. Light period and water temp are the main drivers, but rising or falling water is also important. You can contact the northwestern fisheries district office for some details on those. I am sure they will be conducting some electrofishing.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hey Adam, I was up on Kentucky lake last week crappie fishing and was seeing a ton of bait fish breaking the surface of the water. Have you or anyone been up there catching some of these to see if they are shad or ( hopefully not) Asian carp?

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app




  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    KENTUCKY
    Posts
    101
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsnell View Post
    Hey Adam, I was up on Kentucky lake last week crappie fishing and was seeing a ton of bait fish breaking the surface of the water. Have you or anyone been up there catching some of these to see if they are shad or ( hopefully not) Asian carp?

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

    Yes, we have been conducting weekly sampling for larval fish as well as weekly snorkel surveys. Additionally our Asian carp branch was out every day last week castnetting and electrofishing to determine whether any of the fish were AC. So far, neither us or TWRA has found any young of the year asian carp. Mostly shad, skipjack, emerald shiners, and silversides, as well as a good number of bluegill, drum, and bass. So far so good, but we aren't out of the woods yet.

    On the plus side, I am optimistic about the bass and crappie spawn which are rarely both good in the same year. The mild temperatures seemed to have spaced things out a bit. We will know for sure in the fall and following spring.

    Likes wannabe fisherman, redearhoosier LIKED above post

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amartinbio View Post
    Yes, we have been conducting weekly sampling for larval fish as well as weekly snorkel surveys. Additionally our Asian carp branch was out every day last week castnetting and electrofishing to determine whether any of the fish were AC. So far, neither us or TWRA has found any young of the year asian carp. Mostly shad, skipjack, emerald shiners, and silversides, as well as a good number of bluegill, drum, and bass. So far so good, but we aren't out of the woods yet.

    On the plus side, I am optimistic about the bass and crappie spawn which are rarely both good in the same year. The mild temperatures seemed to have spaced things out a bit. We will know for sure in the fall and following spring.
    Good deal! Thanks for the info!

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app




  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Ky
    Posts
    11,462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Adam ... You may have missed.this thread because it was in a different place ...

    https://www.crappie.com/crappie/kent...sound-barrier/

    Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    -----------------
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    www.cornfieldcrappiegear.com
    ------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP