SLABSAUCE Crappie Attractant |
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Powering 2 items from 1 battery

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liberty, MO
    Posts
    491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Powering 2 items from 1 battery

    I'm in the process of building a couple underwater crappie lights with LED light strips. Am I able to connect both of them to a single 12v battery. If so, anything special I need to do, or could I put a set of alligator clips onto the battery and then a second set of clips for the second light clipped onto those....

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    you can use both off one battery just hook your clips to the battery post. you can use as many as your battery will power

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bartlett, TN
    Posts
    6,091
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Clips are fine.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you wanted to have a little more protection against casusing a short, you could use and inline connector and permanently wire one end of it to the battery or a fuse box.
    _______________________________________
    Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile.

  5. #5
    CrappiePappy's Avatar
    CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    19,716
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If it's a marine battery, it has a large post and a threaded post ... so you could connect one light's leads to the large posts with clips & the other light's leads to the threaded posts.

    While the LED lights probably don't draw much amperage, I still don't like the idea of one set of clips attached to another set of clips. And to avoid any possibility of sparks (around the gas tank or batteries) I attach the Positive leads first & then the Negative leads.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Benton, KY
    Posts
    787
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    If it's a marine battery, it has a large post and a threaded post ... so you could connect one light's leads to the large posts with clips & the other light's leads to the threaded posts.

    While the LED lights probably don't draw much amperage, I still don't like the idea of one set of clips attached to another set of clips. And to avoid any possibility of sparks (around the gas tank or batteries) I attach the Positive leads first & then the Negative leads.
    If something is going to arc it will regardless of the order of connecting the wires
    Thanks CrappiePappy thanked you for this post

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,612
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I used cigarette lighter plugs on my lights, then put a 4 place cigarette lighter outlet on the battery and wired it in
    :I would like to thank the builders of docks for giving me a place to fish and lose tackle
    Likes wannagofishin, "G" LIKED above post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Liberty, MO
    Posts
    491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    I used cigarette lighter plugs on my lights, then put a 4 place cigarette lighter outlet on the battery and wired it in
    Have any recommendation where to buy the lighter plugs and the 4 place outlet - This idea sounds great!

  9. #9
    "G"'s Avatar
    "G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Belden, MS
    Posts
    85,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wannagofishin View Post
    Have any recommendation where to buy the lighter plugs and the 4 place outlet - This idea sounds great!
    Walmart
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes wannagofishin LIKED above post

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    currituck NC
    Posts
    1,944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Amazon has some really great water proof outlets for the marine uses. I put four up in the front of my boat fused off a fuse box. They are a bit more expensive than Walmart but the quality is very good. As one of them is a USB Outlet to charge my phone and T/M remote.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    dave
    in currituck
    Likes Bendalu LIKED above post
    Thanks Bendalu thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP