SLABSAUCE Fish Attractant |
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Gen 3 Helix 9 Transducer Trouble

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Gen 3 Helix 9 Transducer Trouble

    I bought a new Helix Mega 9 Gen 3 SI DI GPS back in March. Since work has been so hectic, I haven't got to use it but maybe 3 trips and it has performed flawless. Then I went last night and the unit would not read any depth in any mode. It shows a message across top of screen that the transducer is not connected. I have checked everything and it is all perfect appearance wise. No nicks or cuts, have not bumped transducer on anything. All fuses are as required and all good. Even tried removing the cords from the plastic lock-in mechanism to no avail.
    Any ideas about this. I'm thinking it is the transducer gone bad sitting in the garage.? The unit shows good in test mode and map system all working properly. I'm still under warranty but thought I might be overlooking something?
    Thanks,
    TerryD

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    mississippi
    Posts
    5,499
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    First make sure you didn't turn off sonar in your settings then next try doing the factory default reset to set it back to original factory setting. Next thing if that not working is to find someone that has a unit like yours and see if it works with there transducer. Also check all of the transducer wire to make sure that a rat has not made a meal on the transducer wire. Hope this was some help please let us know if. how and when you get it fixed to help others also with a problem like this.
    Last edited by scrat; 07-15-2019 at 05:27 AM.
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post
    Thanks TerryD thanked you for this post

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Scrat,
    Thanks for the advise. I have checked settings, went back to factory default, and checked cable to transducer. Everything looks as new. Still says transducer not connected. Since I don't know anyone local with same unit, I'm going to contact Humminbird and see where it goes. Hopefully they will replaced transducer and I'll be back in business.
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sounds like you are gonna need another unit to test with your transducer to see if it is bad .... or another transducer to test with.

    If you don't have either .... better give Humminbird a call.
    _______________________________________
    Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile.
    Thanks TerryD thanked you for this post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Had some time this evening to go back and check out my transducer and unit. I removed the cords from the plastic mechanism that locks onto back of unit. Then I applied a small dab of dielectric grease to the inlets on back of unit. Plugged up and everything is fine. I then reinserted cords into lock mechanism and reconnected. Everything worked fine!
    For the life of me, I can't figure this out. I keep the unit in a dry box with foam liner when not on the water, and my boat stays inside a closed garage when not being used. I've not been fishing in any rain so everything should be dry and clean. No corrosion is visible as I checked with a good light. For some reason, I think the unit was just not making a good connection. Hopefully will be smooth sailing ahead. Will post if I have any more trouble with it....
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

  6. #6
    Cray's Avatar
    Cray is offline Crappie.com Legend and Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Byhalia,Mississippi
    Posts
    15,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Terry I have seen cases where the plug wouldn’t be properly seated in the holder. When installing it to unit that plug would push back just enough where it couldn’t make contact.


    Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979



    Thanks TerryD thanked you for this post

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    mississippi
    Posts
    5,499
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good to hear you figured the problem out. Thanks for letting us know your problem and how it was fixed as this can help me and others know what to look for when having the same type problem.
    Thanks TerryD thanked you for this post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    Terry I have seen cases where the plug wouldn’t be properly seated in the holder. When installing it to unit that plug would push back just enough where it couldn’t make contact.


    Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Cray, I think that is what was going on. As stated earlier, it worked flawless the first few trips. The cords will only go in and work one way and all of that looked to be fine when disassembled. If I have further problems, I'm going to look at some way to maybe shim the plugs out a little tighter. Don't know if that's possible as they are a pretty snug fit. Hopefully, no more trouble!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP