SLABSAUCE Crappie Attractant |
Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Lowrance units flashing or shutting off!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    288
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Lowrance units flashing or shutting off!!

    I have HDís gen 2 10 and 9 touch. Sonic hub and lss 2 if I am not running big motor they flash and then they shut down. If I hit trim button they flash. I am wanting to try to re wire them directly to the battery. Not sure of the best way to do it. I have heard that you need 10 gauge wire Wich is not a problem but not sure of best way to do it and also donít want battery to drain due to something pulling power any help is welcomed
    [/SIZE][/I][/FONT]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Paris Landing, Tn.
    Posts
    1,545
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The way I done my last boat was to run 10 guage tinned wire to a 6 circuit Blue Seas fuse block. I then connected each units power cord to the fuse block. If the power cord wires needed to be extended I used 14 guage wire. I also added a 20 amp switchable breaker about a foot from the battery in the 10 guage feeder.

    When you park the boat just turn off the breaker to kill power to your units and isolate them from the batteries while they're being charged.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    West Ky
    Posts
    12,382
    Post Thanks / Like

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Minn
    Posts
    459
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowe rider View Post
    The way I done my last boat was to run 10 guage tinned wire to a 6 circuit Blue Seas fuse block. I then connected each units power cord to the fuse block. If the power cord wires needed to be extended I used 14 guage wire. I also added a 20 amp switchable breaker about a foot from the battery in the 10 guage feeder.

    When you park the boat just turn off the breaker to kill power to your units and isolate them from the batteries while they're being charged.

    ^^^^^^ This works really good,make sure you run both Pos and Neg wires and use a fuse block with a Negative ground bus.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South East Missouri
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thats coming from a voltage drop. I don't remember for sure but I think 9.5v is the shutoff point for hds units. Turn on your voltage overlay and hit the trim button to see what it drops to. My guess would be a bad ground at the battery.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    If it's to deep to stand up and there is to much to drink, WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET.

  6. #6
    CrappiePappy's Avatar
    CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    21,090
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Semo View Post
    Thats coming from a voltage drop. I don't remember for sure but I think 9.5v is the shutoff point for hds units. Turn on your voltage overlay and hit the trim button to see what it drops to. My guess would be a bad ground at the battery.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I'm inclined to agree with Semo that it's a voltage drop. When I had a 27series battery running my TM, and my Elite 5DSI is wired through the TM power line, the depth finder would dim - flicker - shut off once the battery had been used heavily during the day. Let off the TM and the screen would quickly brighten back up, but get back on the TM and within a very short time frame the screen would start dimming out and eventually the unit would shut off. I went to a series 29 battery and have yet to experience that again, even after long hours of heavy TM usage.

    If it isn't bad grounding or a weak connection at some point ... it may be a bad/weak battery. The battery "could" be strong enough, initially, to start the motor ... but still be weak ... and running the motor just keeps the charge at a level that allows the battery to restart the motor ... and the draw of the electronics added to the draw of trimming is dropping the voltage to a level that isn't sufficient to keep the electronics running. That's just a guess on my part, but from a similar experience.
    Likes hdhntr LIKED above post

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    +3 on voltage drop. I've had it happen and installed new battery.

  8. #8
    Cane Pole's Avatar
    Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pumphouse Tn.
    Posts
    23,617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good connections work miracles and so do good batteries.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This also happened to me, voltage was the issue, cleaned connections and installed a new battery. No issues since.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alcoa, Tennessee
    Posts
    8,921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prater4586 View Post
    This also happened to me, voltage was the issue, cleaned connections and installed a new battery. No issues since.
    Yep. Me too.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP