SLABSAUCE Fish Attractant |
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Night Fishing for crappie.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've tried this with pretty good success:

    1. Buy a 20 Watt bug zapper and make a harness to hang it horizontally.
    2. Hook it up to a 12 VDC power inverter (at least 50W).
    3. Hang it 2 feet above the water on a dark night (no moon).
    4. Fish near the light. I perfer shiners.

    The light attracts bugs and mosquitoes and zapps them. They fall into the water and attract bait fish. They in turn attract BIG fish.
    Good luck and be sure to bring protection from the mosquitoes!
    Likes GREENFISH LIKED above post

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Louusiana
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    I've tried this with pretty good success:

    1. Buy a 20 Watt bug zapper and make a harness to hang it horizontally.
    2. Hook it up to a 12 VDC power inverter (at least 50W).
    3. Hang it 2 feet above the water on a dark night (no moon).
    4. Fish near the light. I perfer shiners.

    The light attracts bugs and mosquitoes and zapps them. They fall into the water and attract bait fish. They in turn attract BIG fish.
    Good luck and be sure to bring protection from the mosquitoes!
    Thank you! I felt the mosquitos bitting as I read your reply (lol)
    Ouch!!! Dadgum squitos!

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app



    Likes cajun LIKED above post

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    mississippi
    Posts
    5,141
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here is a Richard Gene video on night crappie fishing

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=std1zjJ7DfY



    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes LostGoose LIKED above post

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,293
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If you have docks with low lights under water lights, I would focus around them. Using jigs, spoons or possibly live bait. Deeper water this time of year will probably produce better. That is what I do when night fishing this time of year. Good luck.
    Thanks Soco thanked you for this post

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Louusiana
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flintcreek View Post
    If you have docks with low lights under water lights, I would focus around them. Using jigs, spoons or possibly live bait. Deeper water this time of year will probably produce better. That is what I do when night fishing this time of year. Good luck.
    Thank you!!

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app




  6. #16
    Gomer Snerd is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jonesboro
    Posts
    2,853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    on norfork about 20 years ago we used some nets that hung over the side About 3 feet wide and 6 or 7 feet long and made of fine mono. . They were weighted on the bottom end with a support rod on the top. They hung over the sides and every once in a while 3 or 4 of the circling mass would get stuck in the net. you would pull them up and toss them in the minnow bucket. We needed a few minnows to get started but soon had plenty of shad. Haven't seen any lately buy I bet somebody around the lake still has some. I would like a pair.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Louusiana
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Snerd View Post
    on norfork about 20 years ago we used some nets that hung over the side About 3 feet wide and 6 or 7 feet long and made of fine mono. . They were weighted on the bottom end with a support rod on the top. They hung over the sides and every once in a while 3 or 4 of the circling mass would get stuck in the net. you would pull them up and toss them in the minnow bucket. We needed a few minnows to get started but soon had plenty of shad. Haven't seen any lately buy I bet somebody around the lake still has some. I would like a pair.
    Thank you very much!!?

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app




  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Check your state laws using nets cast or other nets after dark or even in the day time. If I am not mistaken you can't use nets at night in Ar. or Mo.

  9. #19
    CrappiePappy's Avatar
    CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    18,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Some people use Sabiki Rigs to catch Shad, but they're generally looking to catch those 4" & over sized Shad. One "could" probably make a Sabiki Rig with much smaller jigs and use them for smaller Shad, but unless you have a big circular tank setup ... the Shad aren't going to live very long.

    What some people around here do is to tie on a couple of small treble hooks & a small weight on the bottom of the line .... then when you get a good concentration of Shad circling under the lights, jerk the treble hooks up thru the school & snag a Shad, then transfer the Shad over to one of your other rods. You just have to be careful and gentle when transferring the Shad. You don't want to handle the Shad any more than necessary, as you will de-scale them with your fingers and they'll die a lot faster. Best to hook them with the regular hook (thru the lips, nose, or eye sockets) before you remove the treble. Then grab the treble & gently shake the (hooked) Shad off the treble hook (or gently nudge it off). Unless you tear the Shad real bad snagging them, they'll survive long enough for a hungry fish to smell the wound or sense the damaged (wounded/crippled) Shad's erratic behavior.

    If you have Brook Silversides in your waters, they're even better bait than Shad or minners, just a little more cumbersome to catch. What my Grandparents & I used to do is take a home made net and hang a lantern over the side of the boat, then ease around the banks until some Silversides were following along with the light. We'd dip them up and put them in a 5gal bucket full of lake water. After catching a few dozen, we'd go tie up to our favorite tree or brushpile & fish with them just like with minners (but, you have to hook them thru the eye sockets due to their pencil shaped body). The "net" was a square shaped deal on a 10ft handle and the "netting" was wire weaved screen. The "screen" was like window screen, but the holes were 2-3 times larger. They have to be, because you have to be able to pull the net thru the water pretty fast or the Silversides will just swim out of the way.

    I tried that technique with a landing net with fabric mesh netting & it didn't work. It took too long & was too hard to pull the net thru the water due to the tiny holes of that type of mesh netting. (just some FYI for those thinking to use that type of netting)

    Here's what a Silverside looks like :

    Name:  Silverside-1.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  44.9 KB

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Louusiana
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Some people use Sabiki Rigs to catch Shad, but they're generally looking to catch those 4" & over sized Shad. One "could" probably make a Sabiki Rig with much smaller jigs and use them for smaller Shad, but unless you have a big circular tank setup ... the Shad aren't going to live very long.

    What some people around here do is to tie on a couple of small treble hooks & a small weight on the bottom of the line .... then when you get a good concentration of Shad circling under the lights, jerk the treble hooks up thru the school & snag a Shad, then transfer the Shad over to one of your other rods. You just have to be careful and gentle when transferring the Shad. You don't want to handle the Shad any more than necessary, as you will de-scale them with your fingers and they'll die a lot faster. Best to hook them with the regular hook (thru the lips, nose, or eye sockets) before you remove the treble. Then grab the treble & gently shake the (hooked) Shad off the treble hook (or gently nudge it off). Unless you tear the Shad real bad snagging them, they'll survive long enough for a hungry fish to smell the wound or sense the damaged (wounded/crippled) Shad's erratic behavior.

    If you have Brook Silversides in your waters, they're even better bait than Shad or minners, just a little more cumbersome to catch. What my Grandparents & I used to do is take a home made net and hang a lantern over the side of the boat, then ease around the banks until some Silversides were following along with the light. We'd dip them up and put them in a 5gal bucket full of lake water. After catching a few dozen, we'd go tie up to our favorite tree or brushpile & fish with them just like with minners (but, you have to hook them thru the eye sockets due to their pencil shaped body). The "net" was a square shaped deal on a 10ft handle and the "netting" was wire weaved screen. The "screen" was like window screen, but the holes were 2-3 times larger. They have to be, because you have to be able to pull the net thru the water pretty fast or the Silversides will just swim out of the way.

    I tried that technique with a landing net with fabric mesh netting & it didn't work. It took too long & was too hard to pull the net thru the water due to the tiny holes of that type of mesh netting. (just some FYI for those thinking to use that type of netting)

    Here's what a Silverside looks like :

    Name:  Silverside-1.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  44.9 KB
    Thank you!

    Sent from my Nexus 6 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app




Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP