SLABSAUCE Fish Attractant |
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63

Thread: filet knife for beginner

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    mississippi
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default filet knife for beginner

    Im curious if i should get an electric filet knife or buy a 10 dollar knife. u can get 20 dollar electric filet knifes online and iv seen they work very well online. i dont think i trust my non existent skills right now with a regular filet knife to filet the fish i get

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was gifted an electric knife by one of the other members on this site and itís been amazing. Much easier than a traditional knife and Iíve done many fish with it since. I was a beginner when I got the knife and I say it has made things much easier for me. I highly reccomend electric


    Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

  3. #3
    Cray's Avatar
    Cray is offline Crappie.com Legend and Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Byhalia,Mississippi
    Posts
    15,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Go to Walmart. Look in outdoors section. They sell a really cheap electric fillet knife that works good. Be good to start with.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979



    Likes MFinMO LIKED above post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Fort Smith, AR
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Electric bread knife all day long from Walmart for around $9. I made the switch this past Summer after reading the experience of others. You can buy a whole new electric knife setup for what you can buy blades for the more expensive units.

    I use the Black+Decker 9-Inch Electric Carving Knife EK500W.
    Likes ArkieJason, Marvin, MFinMO LIKED above post

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    mississippi
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ya i saw one for 15 bucks i heard good and bad reviews some say the blades come apart when using it and that its dangerous others say it worked as good as the 60 dollar rapila

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    vero beach fl
    Posts
    462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt1991 View Post
    ya i saw one for 15 bucks i heard good and bad reviews some say the blades come apart when using it and that its dangerous others say it worked as good as the 60 dollar rapila
    Go to Wallmart, buy the $15 one and don't worry about it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Blood River, KY Lake
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Electric bread knife all day long from Walmart for around $9. I made the switch this past Summer after reading the experience of others. You can buy a whole new electric knife setup for what you can buy blades for the more expensive units.

    I use the Black+Decker 9-Inch Electric Carving Knife EK500W.
    It's fine for a few fish, I burned up three of them last year, trying to filet 35-40 fish. I returned each one of them to walmart, BUT, they keep track of returns now. This knife is not a long term solution. The Rapala heavy duty knife is MUCH better at $50, I've filetted hundreds of fish and it still going strong.
    2017 Ranger RT188C Shadow Grass Camo
    Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Crappie Novice
    Likes eagle 1 LIKED above post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Fort Smith, AR
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northforker View Post
    It's fine for a few fish, I burned up three of them last year, trying to filet 35-40 fish. I returned each one of them to walmart, BUT, they keep track of returns now. This knife is not a long term solution. The Rapala heavy duty knife is MUCH better at $50, I've filetted hundreds of fish and it still going strong.
    You may be right. You do get what you pay for. So far, that hasn't been the case for me but I did keep my box and receipt just in case. Even if Walmart DOES track returns, I don't see how they would limit your return on a defective item. I'll put mine through the gauntlet here in the next few months.
    Name:  crappie.clean.JPG
Views: 888
Size:  273.0 KB
    Likes Central Minn, eagle 1 LIKED above post

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Buy 2 electric filet knives. Swap them out after every fish. They will last a lot longer. After years of buying 4 to 5 knives a year. I finally bought 2 at the same time and used them at the same time. This summer will be my 4th year now without having to buy a new knife. But I Probably will because the blades are noticeably dull.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app



    Likes GREENFISH LIKED above post

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bartlett, TN
    Posts
    5,265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I use both, get a good filet knife if you go that route, The Bubba blade is $40 and will hold a good edge + easy to sharpen, I use the Rapala battery op. $85/95.00 and it is fine. I learned the hard way.
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

BACK TO TOP